starting problem

Help Support CattleToday:

dansangus

Reaction score
I have a allis 7040 that is giving me a bit of a problem. It usually starts right off,but if it has to crank over 6 to 8 seconds,two of the battery cables heat up and then it will not start. I have recently had the starter rebuilt(same problem before). Does it sound like something in the starter is pulling to many amps or maybe the cables have a break somewhere? Thanks Dan

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. It shouldnt take 6 to 8 seconds to start. Thats long enough to heat up cables. Might have some injectors bleeding down or a injector pump problem. Does it start easier if you kill it after its been running instead of sitting for a while?

Had not thought of that. Yes it starts easily when motor is warm or if I plug it in.I just thought it should be able to crank for 6 seconds with out cables getting hot. Dan

I don't think so, sir. Crankin' for 6 to 8 seconds is a lot of crankin' for a diesel. They usually start after three or four turns, or at least mine do.

Surge for a starter motor on a diesel may be as high as 400 to 600 amps with the run at more than 200 amps. Don't take long for even 0000 size cable to get hot with that much current.

I am assuming the engine is turning over rather freely? Or does it act like there just isn't enough "uuumph" in the starter motor? I would look at the fuel system - try a little Ether (don't go crazy with that stuff).

I wouldn't rule out the starter motor, my mates Massey Ferguson 168 was cranking slow and the cables started smoking, he took it to an auto elec. who bench tested it and was drawing way too much current from an internal short, had it fixed and was good for a couple of weeks and started smoking the cable again. This time he pulled it down himself and the insulation the auto elec had put in had been displaced, he replced it with some insulation he had in his shed and it has been going ok 6mths later.
I think it sounds like it is drawing too much current, which decreases the speed of cranking. It would be worth getting it bench tested.
Ken

wbvs58":dt27lh9r said:
I wouldn't rule out the starter motor, my mates Massey Ferguson 168 was cranking slow and the cables started smoking, he took it to an auto elec. who bench tested it and was drawing way too much current from an internal short, had it fixed and was good for a couple of weeks and started smoking the cable again. This time he pulled it down himself and the insulation the auto elec had put in had been displaced, he replced it with some insulation he had in his shed and it has been going ok 6mths later.
I think it sounds like it is drawing too much current, which decreases the speed of cranking. It would be worth getting it bench tested.
Ken

Couldn't agree more which is why I asked the question about the cranking speed.

Latest posts