starting out

Help Support CattleToday:

hfd9341

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals hows it goin. I have a few guestions? First I've been doing some research on cattle, now in the past i raised 3 black angus steers. But my girlfriends unlce has a replacement hereford ranch. So which would be good to start out with herefords or angus? Now the property I will be using is 22 acres with a lot of brush on it and a 10 acre parcel. What would be a good pasture mixture to add? Now in the future Iam lookin to get alot of acreage to start a ranch. So the herd I start now will be transfered to the ranch. And thats all i plan on doing right now is starting a herd not trying to make any money just build it up so i can make money in the future.

hfd9341,

Both the angus and hereford are fine breeds. Maybe you can see what your local markets favor, and make the decision. You can even cross the two and come out with black baldies, a very sought after calf.

By pasture mix I'm assuming that you mean planting grass. Your local feed mill/co-op should have just what you need. Many will need you to till the land somewhat; not sure if you have that capability.

I'm not sure of your area, so your locals would know much better.

Either way, good luck!!!

hfd9341":zdplo9sg said:
What would be a good pasture mixture to add?

I would check with my local extension office and ask my cattle producing neighbors. Either one can tell you, all of them together gives you a reference base from which to make a decision.

hfd9341...I'd figure out why I was going to raise cattle in the first place...meaning what direction you are looking. Cow/calf operation, registered seed stock, commercial cattle, seek your fortune or grow freezer beef for a designated market.
Can't go wrong with the Herfs or the Angus Xthem and the baldies are great cattle and bring a nice price at sale time. I agree with msscamp check with the local agent and talk with some of the producers in the area. First on the list is the old addage "good fences make good neighbors" and save you alot of cow chasing time. Facilities first, then the cows.
Looks like you have a good source of information and cattle in your friends uncle...make a mentor out of him.
Good luck to you....DMc

I've decided that i want to due a Cow/calf operation. I've tried to talk to some of the locals but they were little help. When you say talk to the local agent, who is that? About the fencing three sides of the property is fenced but the fourth isnt. Ill be getting that done before i get any cows.

One other thing i was reading on here that your cows will have to be assinged a number by the gov't, and if they dont have a number then you cant sell them. Is there any truth behind this

hfd9341":1vo04cw0 said:
One other thing i was reading on here that your cows will have to be assinged a number by the gov't, and if they dont have a number then you cant sell them. Is there any truth behind this

It's the premises ID program in response to the BSE problem that is due to be implemented sometime in 2006 (not exactly sure when). County extension office may be able to help with this as well.

The county extension office is that the department of ag office if not then what do i look under to find it. thanks for the help guys

hfd9341":26agqo4a said:
The county extension office is that the department of ag office if not then what do i look under to find it. thanks for the help guys

In most states, as far as I know, it's listed under the County heading of the state section of the phone book, then look for extension office. For example, in my case it would be listed under Goshen County, in the Wyoming, State of section then Extension Office under that heading. You could also probably go to MSN.Com, click on yellow pages and then type in your county plus extension office and it will probably bring it up.

Thanks, Cypress. I forgot about the strange listings in the southern states. No offense intended.

msscamp":1cfyf4f8 said:
Thanks, Cypress. I forgot about the strange listings in the southern states. No offense intended.

You know that Louisiana has to be different and call em parishes. Goes way back to Napoleon days. We're also the only state backwards enough to still follow Nepoleonic law.

I found it thanks for the help. Iam goin to hed over there tomorrow Iam also goin head over to fresno state and some feed stores.

cypressfarms":2kad9m0l said:
msscamp":2kad9m0l said:

You know that Louisiana has to be different and call em parishes. Goes way back to Napoleon days. We're also the only state backwards enough to still follow Nepoleonic law.

I was always curious about the use of the word parish in LA. Around here, a parish is the group of people who attend your church.

El_Putzo":3mnllvkp said:
cypressfarms":3mnllvkp said:
msscamp":3mnllvkp said:

I was always curious about the use of the word parish in LA. Around here, a parish is the group of people who attend your church.

Hey Putzo,

In Louisiana we have parishes instead of counties. Same function, same governmental red tape, just called different names. We're the only state that is different with this. Weird though, I'm catholic, and our church community is also called a parish.

There are plenty of weird things about Louisiana, but I guess that's what makes it interesting. Like I posted earlier, our law system in the state is based on Nopeoleonic code. Plenty of weird laws about land ownership, succesions etc. There's a law on the books here that states that if you fence in land, or use it (whether it belongs to you or not), if the rightful owner does not complain or bring it up within 30 years then the land belongs to you. We just had a case of this happening to my next door neighbor. He's still mad that he lost 70 feet of land, but there isn't anything he can do now.

Latest posts