Starting on my own- Have Questions!

Help Support CattleToday:

Crazy Farmgirl":1ytdc0pv said:
If there are farmers that you know near you the best thing may be to go to them and offer to help in exchange for knowledge and experience, or at least form a solid relationship with them so that when problems crop up (and they will) you'll have someone to turn to for advice. Most farmers I have met are more than willing to share their knowlege and if your willing to give them a hand they will be more likely to do the same for you.

As for the vet you want to have them out BEFORE you have problems. If they know you and your cattle they will be more likely to help you in a pinch over the phone, if they have never been there you may find that you will have to have them come out for the simplest things. Be sure to ask him/her about vaccinations recommended for your area and common parasite/viral/bacterial problems common in your area and how to prevent or treat. Also share your animals experience with them (if they don't know you) so they will have an idea of your capabilities in treating animals, they will be more likely to prescibe things to have on hand if they know your not a newbie whose never given a shot before. A good vet is worth his/her weight in gold but if they don't trust you they will cost you a boatload of gold.

As far as the cows I would do as you and others have stated and find mild tempered bred cows or steers from a local farmer. They will save you alot of headaches until you have more experience and work the "kinks" out your plans and property.

Good Luck and most of all Have Fun !!

Thanks for the reply! As I mentioned before I will probably try and give all the shots/meds I can myself as I have with other animals to avoid vet cost but I see what your saying about when you NEED the vet, you made some good points. As far as advice I have family/friends that I can get all the info I need, HOWEVER I was curious to get info from other folks to see what advice I could get and I like talking to people on here :)

.........speaking of vaccinations/meds can someone tell me, for my area (central Illinois), what all is needed for livestock care. If you do them yourself, where do you buy yours? local feed store, online? I know when we had litters of pups we ordered our vacs, etc from jefferspet.com Anyways, comments welcome....thanks!

I suggest not playing doctor and establishing a relationship with a good local experienced large animal/cattle vet. He can recommend what is needed for your area and you can learn a lot working with him. I have my vet out twice a year for my preventive medicine program. He comes in the spring after all calves are born and we run the whole herd through the chute to get shots, poured and the bull calves cut. Vet comes out again in the fall at weaning time for booster shots, preg check and pour. He also looks each animal over and can address any other questions. This twice a year visits ends up costing about $25/head/year and he supplies all materials used. This program along with using a good mineral year round, keeping fly rubs oiled and I really have very few herd health issues. Having a decent handling facility makes vet visits easier = less expensive. Good luck.

Jim

mjlabs":3adh3e6r said:
Ruark- What does CPA stand for?

Certified Public Accountant. Professional accountant. Pick yours carefully, and again, be sure he or she has a lot of ag experience. Mine has saved me thousands of dollars in taxes, although he's a 60 mile drive from here. He does a lot of farm & ranch accounting, though, and has his own 400 acre cattle operation as well, so he can talk the talk and walk the walk.

Latest posts