Starting issue: 06 Dodge 2500 diesel, manual.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Of course, my 70K/7 yr. warranty ran out on my Dodge at 56K miles. Having starting problems with it. Very smart mechanical step-son and another gear head looked at it today. Some plug-in to starting was acting up. They were looking for the relay switch box -- someone at local Dodge dealership (service dept. wasn't open) said it would be with the fuses and stuff. ?? It's not. Can't find anything in the owner's manual. They did get it to start, but not sure this is the end of the issue. Suggestions?

Kingfisher":2oagcgn8 said:
So....what's your complaint? It won't crank with the key?
Right. All gauges read fine. I think we got it fixed, at least for now. The suggestion someone else made is what happened -- sort of. Hitting one connection straight to the battery. ?? I am totally not the mechanic! Hitting the clutch really hard seemed to help.

Put your key in the ignition. & turn the key on and off rapidly 3 times. If the truck set a trouble code you will be able to see the code number where the mileage normally would be.
You can find the lists of trouble codes on the Dodge Cummins forum or the Dodge section of the Turbo Diesel register. Sounds like it could be the clutch position sensor. :2cents:

If it doesn't read the right key in the ignition it will not start. Would the key lock and unlock the doors? If not, the battery in the key could be going bad or the electronic control unit in the truck is reading it as the wrong key. If this is the case, the key will not start the truck. Unplugging the batteries on the truck for about 20 minutes and letting the ECU and ECM reset will usually fix the problem.

I agree though that the neutral safety switch could be out of adjustment or bad if hitting the clutch pedal hard lets it crank.

Mine did the same thing so I just took the clutch position switch out and wired the switch to be closed all the time haha

Latest posts