Starting from Scratch ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arkansas,

It is best to listen to these folks on here. My advice would be to lose the bad attitude. There are alot that will dish it out straight on here and thats hard for some to swallow. They have been through things you have never thought about. It does not mean you have to give up on your dreams but not listening to common sense is just idiotic. I am what most would consider a "hobby farmer" (I dont like that term because it infers I am raising pets :mad: ) but I expect and have been making a profit on what I do. On 20 acres you cant just run cows and expect to sell the calves at an auction and make a profit. Like someone else said you have to be more creative. You have to find what works for you, your land, your pastures and your set up. Start slow!! I am not saying this is right for everyone but here is what I do. I buy calves in the fall when they are the cheapest. NOT BOTTLE CALVES, they take way too much work (although I think the idea about the nurse cows was good if you had the time). I buy weaned beef calves at about 300 to 400 lbs. Give them hay and grain through the winter. They will gain about 1.5 lbs per day. I let them out on spring grass and then sell the majority of them about May or maybe early June. I overstock in the spring when the grass grows like crazy and then adjust to what I think it will hold in the summer (I have water issues so that is a limiting factor for me). This provides a way of having cattle that does not take alot of daily work (20 minutes feeding and looking over them on most days), provides a resonable cash flow (I dont have to wait a year for a cow to have and rais a calf), I could get out quickly and raise cash if I needed to without ruining my business. I then keep a few, fatten them and sell halves to family and friends. If you are going to raise cattle on any level you have to be comfortable with the fact that they all eventually become food. I lost money the first two years because I needed to learn how to feed them and I did not have the connections for supplies and services I needed. You have to look back at the previous year and look at how you did as if you were someone else. What could you do to improve the rate of gain,what could you do to improve the selling price, what could you do to decrease feed costs, etc. I make 10 to 20% over my costs (not including mortgage or land taxes so I probably do not come out even but I would own the land regardless). I make more on the land like this than if I rented it out but there are greater risks also. I have been fortunate about death loss to this point; someday I will come out on the losing end of that I am sure. Look at the land as a future investment that will accrue value over time but the cows on 20 acres will not pay for it. As Bez said cash flow will make or break you. It does not matter what your land is worth unless you have the cash to pay the bills. When you budget add extra to your expected expenses and budget alot less income and see if it works out for you. Look at selling prices for the last couple of years and take the lowest number for you income budget and then assume they will have really poor feed conversion. It better to have a nice surprise than something you have not planned for.

texasgal0919":spknilio said:
Ryder":spknilio said:
Red Bull Breeder":spknilio said:
Arkansas if you want to raise cattle then get you some cows. Try to find you a farm to lease get a few cows and have at it. Just throw that sample budget away, and do not over stock.
Red Bull I was just about to go find me one of those sharp pencils and make a bunch of money. Now you are saying it is not reality :?: :roll: :lol:
I know this is wayyyyy off topic but is Ryder your real name? I have been hinting to my husband that I want to name our child that. I have not met anyone named it before so I was just wondering...ok sorry back to topic lol
No, ryder is not my real name. When I neeeded a name I tried Bullrider, but that was taken, Rider was also taken, So I ended up with the derivation Ryder.

But it has got to the point that when I fire up the computer, I think I am Ryder. Sort of like it. I think it would be a fine name for your child.

Ok first off Bez I dont really care how long you have been gone its has no relevance to my topic. 2nd I'am not a kid who is going into this blindfolded I do have a Job and unless you havent paid attention to my Job title it should show alone in what I do for a livin that I must have some smarts if I have managed to stay alive as a Police Officer for over 8 yrs. I never said make a livin on 20 acres. What I said is I am plaining on buying about 20 acreas to start with and see how I like it unless anyone else would have a different suggestion ?,Keywords here is start with and see how I like it and also I never said I wanted to make a profit I said if I broke even it was fine. And that I wanted to do it as a Hobby maybe and once I get the hang of it maybe try exspanding and my Wife is plaining on helping me and so will my Father and my Son...So with that being said Yes you did give good info but also gave bad , but unlike you I am not here to bash on someone's Hopes & Dreams I am here to find out more info that will Aide me on my journey with or without anyone's help it will happen its just a matter of getting the right help. As far as I can tell your not really all that smart yourself if your letting all your knowledge go to waste by staying away from the forums and helping others , but then again what would they need discouraging words for ? Not to say that the info was bad on your part but you really need to work on your people skills. None the less stay out of my Town :p j/k Thanks for your info I will take it into consideration with the rest I have received on here :tiphat:

Pretty sure he stated your job title a few times, maybe your the one whose lacking some smarts.....Seen some pretty dumb cops myself

Also with that being said as of right now I just bout 4 acres of land from my step dad for 1200 dollars and its good land on 1 acre a pond and a small horse barn sits on it and the other 3 is pasture he had 2 horses on it that he rode... I was wondering is there anything I could do on this land that would give me a feal for having livestock like can you use that to finish a few cattle on or what. This is land I can use asap to kinda mess with maybe this will give me a better outlook on the livestock side :) Thanks all for your insperation and support :cowboy:

GRTiger85":tc4yrq42 said:
Pretty sure he stated your job title a few times, maybe your the one whose lacking some smarts.....Seen some pretty dumb cops myself

Only people that dislikes Cops or says DUMB things about or too cops are usally Criminals because smart people know who protect them funny thing people have smart-A comments to say to Cops all the time but when there in trouble there the first to yell , and then its Yes Sir and No Sir. I cant put it any simpler, People if you dont have anything good to say just dont say it. This is where temtation comes into play we will see a few KIDS try and post a smart reply to this. That just further justifys me saying this. Thanks All :)

Just bought 4 acres for $1200 ? I'm thinking that's $300 an acre. That's about 1% of what land costs in the real world.

With an attitude problem like yours, I'm glad you're a cop pretty far away from me. You'll go far in life. How far just depends on how far someone can kick your behind.

Seems they don't teach spelling and punctuation in the academy??......... :dunce:

I know exactly how you feel. Have a little land and want to have a use for it. Put some cows on it and have it as a thing to do. Thats great. Start small and get a feel for it. Thats how we got started. HOWEVER, alot that has been said on here is the truth. Unfortunately your attitude of "i'm a cop and I know better" will probably hold you down. I expect you to have a smatr a$$ comment to this and that only proves my point.

p.s. the reason Bez stays away for a while is that its kinda hard to keep in contact when your in the desert overseas working security. maybe you'd understand, or maybe you wouldn't.

I've read these post and there is alot of good advice here.
a couple of cows would be nice for a small plot of land.
But will a couple of cows pay for handlng facitlites. I'm not talking about top of the line or the best, just something so your wife does not get killed while treating or assisting a cow.
How would you treat if it got sick?
How would you assist if it had calving problems?
How would you load the animal to the vet or to the market?
How would you vacinate?
would the infrastructure alone pay for it self in a few years?
It takes several years to pay a cow if you get a loan.

Here is an idea if you wish.
We need small time bee keepers. Realy we do.
on 20 acres you can have a pile of hives. Why, they do not need a fence, they go anywhere to forage. You can pay for the hive equipment in the first year, poor crop, year and a half. This can not be done with cattle at this time.
the equipment to extract can be paid off by the second year, depending on how fancy you want to go.
I know a beek who has about 10 acres and has 350 hives. Going to go to 500 this year. Honey prices are on the rise, not enough produced in our country or yours to meet the countries needs.
The hours are not as instense as cattle. You do not need the fertilizer, land base, fuel cost, fences, and vet.
You do however need to maintain apiary health, much in the same way as cattle.
We have 32 hives going on to maybe 100 or 150. With the 32 hives we sell most of it local for $2.50 a pound. Selling to the local co-op or broker gives about $1.20 to $1.25. In August of last year it was $.90/lb, and a few months before it was $.85/lb. They are predicting about $1.50 by late summer.
Small time beeks are less proned to CCD than the large beeks.

Just a thought

Arkansas":5uwyd1pw said:
People if you dont have anything good to say just dont say it. This is where temtation comes into play we will see a few KIDS try and post a smart reply to this. That just further justifys me saying this. Thanks All :)

This kid has more time in the crapper at a police station than you do on the road. There are others in here with more service than I have. There are distinguished veterans and likely some true war heroes. You do not impress us and you certainly don't intimidate us. As a matter of fact you are an embarrassment to the profession.

I find it hard to believe you are law enforcement, although I did supervise one like you once . I think he is asking folks if they want fries with that now.

A bunch of good folks, and by the way Bez is one of the most respected members in here, took a chunk of time and effort to help you.

Drop the cop talk and lets talk cattle.

Horticattleman":2u6lwxyt said:
I know exactly how you feel. Have a little land and want to have a use for it. Put some cows on it and have it as a thing to do. Thats great. Start small and get a feel for it. Thats how we got started. HOWEVER, alot that has been said on here is the truth. Unfortunately your attitude of "i'm a cop and I know better" will probably hold you down. I expect you to have a smatr a$$ comment to this and that only proves my point.

p.s. the reason Bez stays away for a while is that its kinda hard to keep in contact when your in the desert overseas working security. maybe you'd understand, or maybe you wouldn't.

Yeah I would understand seeing how I am MP in the Army also and done 2 tours myself..So yes he hasnt done anything I havent and as a matter of fact I have 2 Purple Hearts from my 1st and second tour..So he isnt doing anything that I havent done twice already. But I wouldnt exspect a kid such as yourself to understand fighting for one's country seeing how its all just a waste of time that were over there right I hear it when I was over there and I hear it at the department I dont exspect anyone to appreciate what we do over there until they have done it there self. Just keep your comments to yourself like I said b4 it wouldnt be long b4 some kid had a smart remark and your the Example thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts