Starting from scratch

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is it possible to fence 7000 feet around a 20 acre pasture, drop in small herd of beef cattle and make money?

> Is it possible to fence 7000 feet
> around a 20 acre pasture, drop in
> small herd of beef cattle and make
> money? Depends on location. West texas, maybe not. Eastern Kansas, probably. The answer lies in parameters like rainfall, forb species, pasture rent, fencing cost, and how much effort you are willing to make. If you are close to large population center, might consider gardening enterprize or boarding horses for townies.

[email protected]

Please don't be insulted if you are not among the group that I am addressing!

You can't just "drop" a herd of cattle into a pasture. They require much more care than that. They need to be checked, double-checked and re-checked. They need water, mineral, salt and perhaps supplemental feed depending on how many and what's in your pasture. They get sick and injured on occassion. They need vaccinations, wormings and general care.

If you already knew all that, I apologize, but it seems that many on this list come looking for help after "dropping" some cattle in a field and then discover the hard way that there is more to it than that.

Whether or not you can make money depends on the price of feed (what will they eat in the wintertime?), and many other factors. You need to make a plan, investigate the costs and returns. Then you can tell if you will make money (maybe). Expect the unexpected.

> Is it possible to fence 7000 feet
> around a 20 acre pasture, drop in
> small herd of beef cattle and make
> money? keeping cattle is a business and like any other business it takes time to come to the point that you see any profit. the fist few years of it you are going to reinvest all of the profit in to the business to make improvements. i have been in and out of the cattle business be cause i love it i have made a profit in afew adventure but thngs happen and i have loct on others. you have to look at it over the long term to come out.

[email protected]

"Drop" was just a figure of speech. Does anyone have a spreadsheet set up to work out costs?

> Please don't be insulted if you
> are not among the group that I am
> addressing!

> You can't just "drop" a
> herd of cattle into a pasture.
> They require much more care than
> that. They need to be checked,
> double-checked and re-checked.
> They need water, mineral, salt and
> perhaps supplemental feed
> depending on how many and what's
> in your pasture. They get sick and
> injured on occassion. They need
> vaccinations, wormings and general
> care.

> If you already knew all that, I
> apologize, but it seems that many
> on this list come looking for help
> after "dropping" some
> cattle in a field and then
> discover the hard way that there
> is more to it than that.

> Whether or not you can make money
> depends on the price of feed (what
> will they eat in the wintertime?),
> and many other factors. You need
> to make a plan, investigate the
> costs and returns. Then you can
> tell if you will make money
> (maybe). Expect the unexpected.

Most of the state ag universities have web sites with spreadsheets for calculating expense, return, etc for different segments of the industry

dun

> "Drop" was just a figure
> of speech. Does anyone have a
> spreadsheet set up to work out
> costs?

Latest posts