Starting Fresh

Help Support CattleToday:

hereford obsesed

Reaction score
If I were to start a new breed for my record book what would be the best to start with i am taking a poll to see which breed is favored more.

Angus

Herefords

Shorthorn

Super Black Baldie

Dam: Tiger Stripe F-1 (brahman x hereford)

Sire: Angus

Composite: 1/4 Brahman, 1/4 Hereford, 1/2 Angus

Can live anywhere and grade well.

There are many roads to get there.

Could probably use a Brangus Bull over straight Herefords.

Or a Braford Bull over Angus.

D.R. Cattle":h3gl512k said:
Thanks Ruby. I 'm breeding for Super Baldies myself, but I don't use F1's. I use 3/8 X 5/8 mommas.

I know what you mean. The English breeds don't do well in high temperature and high humidity environments.

Would love to be able to create a Super Black Baldie and skip the Angus entirely. Have never had any luck with them. The cows don't milk, don't have enough sense to come in the corral for cubes and the bulls spend the summer standing in the tank.

But I better be careful saying Angus are not ideal, BLACKPOWER will come and get me. LOL

He attacked me on another forum, sent him a message telling him I made an avatar just for him. (Think it fits his personality) Never got a response.

Good Luck with your cattle goals.

Best Wishes

cherokeeruby":3stb55nl said:
I know what you mean. The English breeds don't do well in high temperature and high humidity environments.

Would love to be able to create a Super Black Baldie and skip the Angus entirely. Have never had any luck with them. The cows don't milk, don't have enough sense to come in the corral for cubes and the bulls spend the summer standing in the tank.

But I better be careful saying Angus are not ideal, BLACKPOWER will come and get me. LOL

He attacked me on another forum, sent him a message telling him I made an avatar just for him. (Think it fits his personality) Never got a response.

Best Wishes

Damn glad to find out all this humidity and heat has been my imagination out here in the piney woods. Gotta go check my Herefords to make sure they are not melting.

Uh oh, created another enemy. Hey I like Herefords !!! ;-)

Campground Cattle":3e2a0ndr said:
cherokeeruby":3e2a0ndr said:

Best Wishes

Damn glad to find out all this humidity and heat has been my imagination out here in the piney woods. Gotta go check my Herefords to make sure they are not melting.

cherokeeruby":153l5w9v said:
Uh oh, created another enemy. Hey I like Herefords !!! ;-)

Campground Cattle":153l5w9v said:
cherokeeruby":153l5w9v said:

Best Wishes

Have you forgot the drought of 99/2000 110 deg days. My 2000 pound Bull melted down to 500 pounds, cows completely diasappeared.

Campground Cattle":2vfxpm1o said:

we're about 70 miles from the coast.......100+ degree days w/what feels like about 85% humidity. must be my imagination, too!

hereford obsesed":1ite49wo said:
If I were to start a new breed for my record book what would be the best to start with i am taking a poll to see which breed is favored more.

Angus

Herefords

Shorthorn

I'd vote for Angus, but look around and see which breed of those breeds is being raised around you. Angus are being successfully raised from Washington to Florida, from New York to California. The demand for Angus cattle in the south eastern part of the country is growing and they've always been popular in the northwest.

Angus breeders are breeding some heat tolerance into them. That's a big plus for those of us in tropical climates. I'm using the bulls. They still can't hack it like a Braford or Brangus, but do much better than previously. Hey Cherokee, I'm going to put a black Balancer bull on some of my best 3/8 X 5/8 Braford cows and retain the resulting heifers for composite replacements. Eventually retain bulls of equal cross and work with a composite straight breeding herd. The 3/16 Bos Indicus seems to work well for all the Big Dogs like Adam's Ranch, King Ranch etc. that are coming up with composites. What do you think?

We make super baldies using Brangus cows X Hereford bull then take that heifer and beed it back to a brangus bull. Not all will have a true bald face some will be mottled but still an excellent mother cow.

Sounds good, didn't know King Ranch had reduced the brahman ratio to 3/16. But whatever works in a person's climate is best.

D.R. Cattle":gnzqjo52 said:
Angus breeders are breeding some heat tolerance into them. That's a big plus for those of us in tropical climates. I'm using the bulls. They still can't hack it like a Braford or Brangus, but do much better than previously. Hey Cherokee, I'm going to put a black Balancer bull on some of my best 3/8 X 5/8 Braford cows and retain the resulting heifers for composite replacements. Eventually retain bulls of equal cross and work with a composite straight breeding herd. The 3/16 Bos Indicus seems to work well for all the Big Dogs like Adam's Ranch, King Ranch etc. that are coming up with composites. What do you think?

Latest posts