Starting a Stocker Cattle Operation

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a limited amount of property, however it is attached to a larger family farm. I do not want to see more empty warehouses or Industrial facilities, even though i have been in the construction industry more than 20 years.

I am interested in beginning a small operation and so far through my research have found interest in Stocker Cattle and Backgrounding. I am looking for feedback and information as to start-up of such operations.

I am not just looking for a hobby I am serious about building something with substance but like everything it won't happen overnight. Input from the voice of experience is appreciated.

First work out your facilities and other needed materials so that once you begin buying calves you have a system to put them into. What all equipment do you have access too? Tractors, dozers, grinder/mixer, fencing types, working systems, cattle pens... I would get a basic system in place such as working facilities, and good strong fences for those calves that come from all over and are wilder than I'll get out. I wouldn't expect to make money on your first two pens of calves because that's when everything in the world will go to heck. As you start to make a few pennies you can start planning on upgrading and expanding your system to include a few lots, good fencing, good all around facilities, and a good reputation with the feedlot buyers.

Latest posts