Starting a New Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

There's land to be had for decent prices in east texas but none of them are gonna be advertised. There was 50 acres for sale a mile down the road from me I thought I'd be wasting my time to even talk price on and it ended up asking price was $1500 an acre.... it had a very small easement road you had to share with a timber company and a couple ranchers but I kick myself everyday for not looking into it more....

I bought hay in moss hill area a couple weeks ago and the guy said behind him they're selling 100 acre tracts for $1500 an acre.

I don't live in central texas so I wouldn't ever find an unadvertised deal but everything I see for sale up that way looks pretty expensive and you'll get less cattle per acre.

I'd plan on spending minimum $150-300k for 100 acres in texas with nothing on it.

TXMike":3p3od6h2 said:
There's land to be had for decent prices in east texas but none of them are gonna be advertised. There was 50 acres for sale a mile down the road from me I thought I'd be wasting my time to even talk price on and it ended up asking price was $1500 an acre.... it had a very small easement road you had to share with a timber company and a couple ranchers but I kick myself everyday for not looking into it more....

I bought hay in moss hill area a couple weeks ago and the guy said behind him they're selling 100 acre tracts for $1500 an acre.

I don't live in central texas so I wouldn't ever find an unadvertised deal but everything I see for sale up that way looks pretty expensive and you'll get less cattle per acre.

I'd plan on spending minimum $150-300k for 100 acres in texas with nothing on it.

Your right about the prices being better East of SH 146.
Talked with a major realtor and he was telling people to hold on to their land over here.
Said our prices will skyrocket in the next five years as we are one of the few spots left in
Texas with good land at reasonable prices. His words not mine is the market is moving east.

Caustic Burno":2ui5qo6v said:
TXMike":2ui5qo6v said:

Your right about the prices being better East of SH 146.
Talked with a major realtor and he was telling people to hold on to their land over here.
Said our prices will skyrocket in the next five years as we are one of the few spots left in
Texas with good land at reasonable prices. His words not mine is the market is moving east.

$3500 an acre seems to be about the breaking point for cows paying for the land, with today's low interest rates.

Well for now I am stationed out in Colorado. It is not where I'm going to stay, but I have 60 acres of decent grassland for now to at least start running a couple pair on. I've really been thinking of just going back to Texas. The land might be more expensive, but worth it. I have put some thought into doing something like a cow-calf lease to build a herd while I'm still in and buy up more land. I'm going to create a new thread to ask some more questions about that. Thanks for all the advice

Fellows:

I am reminded of the question on posed to a fellow that had won a million dollars as to what he would do with the money. He relied that " I guess I will ranch until it is all gone".

You boys should remember at the cows will pay the interest but only when you sell the land will you make any money. The cow business requires a lot of money and if you try to start and stay in the business on borrowed money, you will fail. I say this as a CPA of 50 years experience and a cow herd of 250 head. I started in the cow business at age 51 with NO debt of any nature and $150,000 in cash. In our country, Montana, a million will not take you very far if you are just starting out.

However, if you own cattle for "the use o f them"(hobby) then my observations do not apply.

Latest posts