Starting a new herd with Gelbvieh Heifers.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeff Welch

Reaction score
I'm planning on starting a new herd and thought about Gelbvieh heifers with a Balancer bull. The herd will be located in north central Arkansas. Looking for your thoughts on this combination and some breeders in the area. Thanks

Don;t know about breeders, seems like quality Gelbvieh breeders are kind of hard to find.
Why a balancer bull on Gelbvieh cows? You would probably be better off with an angus bull on straightbred Gelbviehs (heterosis)

My thought on the balancer bull was the weight gain. Thought I would be able to maintain the easy calving and get a better growth rate. Why go with a pure angus bull?

I use Gelbvieh, angus, and balancer bulls. My best calves and cows are usually in the 1/4 to 1/2 gelbvieh range. Those gelbvieh heifers should give you all the growth and frame you will need, and the right angus bull will moderate the size a bit and make some nice, easy fleshing calves. Great replacement heifers too if you choose the right angus.

Good idea to start that way getting 75% gelbviehs offspring and then come back with a purebreed gelbvieh or angus bull to bolster your herd. If you go to the american gelbvieh association page and look at members you will find breeders in your area or if you need any help private message me I breed gelbvieh's.

greenwillowhereford II":322q1h69 said:
I read the results of a study a few years ago that said Herefords had the most heterosis benefit when crossing Gelbveigh.
It was wrong Brahman will give you the most hybrid vigor. ;-)

double v":2xpen53n said:
Good idea to start that way getting 75% gelbviehs offspring and then come back with a purebreed gelbvieh or angus bull to bolster your herd. If you go to the american gelbvieh association page and look at members you will find breeders in your area or if you need any help private message me I breed gelbvieh's.
Why not bolster the herd now. Unless I was starting a register herd I would not use anything with Gelbvieh in it for a bull to maximize vigor. At least not in the first cross.
Edited to add the word not.

EAT BEEF":26mr1k9z said:
why not use a gelbvieh bull on a set of red angus heifers :?:

That would be my preference. Then use a herf bull on the half-bloods.

The best cross that we have from Gelbvieh are Brahman and South Devon. Tried Angus didn't like them,found they added very little in weight or scale.Don't go past a Hereford either. I've seen some very good Hereford Gelbvieh cross (red baldy look). If you want a black perhaps your balancer bull would be ok.
Colin

We have Gelbvieh/Angus cross cows, and try to keep the 50/50 ratio. If we have a heifer that is more Gelbvieh than Angus, we will breed her to Angus. If we have a heifer more Angus than Gelbvieh, she will be bred to Gelbvieh. Those who are close to 50/50 we breed to balancers. It's a matter of preference if you want to keep a herd that is close to 50/50 (and we think that is the ticket) You will be happy with the Gelbvieh/Angus cross, they have made good mothers and raise good calves. We also get carcass data and the cross do better, and I am talking 15 years of carcass data. We started with a herd of Heinz 47's. It took a number of years to breed out the crap and breed in the Gelbvieh/Angus (50/50) but we got it done. We are pretty proud of our herd! :D

baxter78":250x04hg said:
I think if I was going to start me a herd of Gelbvieh heifers I would not use a balancer bull. Instead I would use me as good as I could afford Angus Bull. Im not talking about the funnell butts you see all the time I am talking about good length, big butted, big nutted, level top line, meaty Angus Bulls. It would give you more heterosis doing it this way.
Baxter where can a angus bull like you described be found?
I have one like you described was on ok until he got 7 years old. He looks like a buffalo standing on the hills.