starting a herd

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

with the price of cattle beat down i was thinking of starting my herd a year earllier than planned.does it make sense to buy the hefer calves and let them mature over a year and a half or buy the mature cows now?

[email protected]

Wait and see tioll next week. There will have been more sales by then and we'll be better able to see just how much affect all this has had on prizes. Around here the prices aren't particularly lower then before it all started.

dun

> with the price of cattle beat down
> i was thinking of starting my herd
> a year earllier than planned.does
> it make sense to buy the hefer
> calves and let them mature over a
> year and a half or buy the mature
> cows now?

[email protected]

I wouldn't expect any real bargins, markets shifted a bit for fat cattle, but i really don't see a major decline in cow prices... guess it depends where you are at:)

I know as a buyer i always hope the market price is low.

good luck, donna

There are advantages and disadvantages with heifers and older cattle. If you buy weaned heifers, you're likely to have some that turn out to be non-breeders, heifers have more calving difficulty, and generally don't raise as heavy a calf if they calve as 2-year olds. Plus, it's a long time until a pay day with heifers. If you buy bred cows, you're buying more experienced mothers. You know they bred at least once and produced a live calf. Plus you can sell those calves sooner. But many cows sold through the salebarn are someone's culls. And they might not be what you want. So it's a decision you have to make. Good luck...

> cows now?

Buy proven bred cows with a calf at side if possible (a 3 in 1 package). Buy from reputable farms or ranches where you can inspect their operation and cattle at their place. Can be either registered or non-registered.

Get copy of the animal's health record from the seller. If they don't have any records, may be trying to cover something up. And, they should know when the animal was bred (or dates of exposure) and to which bull.

[email protected]

also remember that culls from some ranches are better than some of the best cattle from others.

> cows now?

Went to two sales this past week and the prices of cows in my neck of the woods have not dropped one dime. I live in Comanche county TX.

[email protected]

Checked the prices for last week and they only went down a little. What was very noticable was the number sold, way down compared to same time last yr or even before the holiday break. Like normal would be 1200, but only 250 went through.

> Went to two sales this past week
> and the prices of cows in my neck
> of the woods have not dropped one
> dime. I live in Comanche county
> TX.

This is usually a good time to buy because everybody is getting rid of their 7-8 year old stuff that has nothing wrong with them. You can still get a few years out of them and they will be having calves soon.

[email protected]

in our area north ark. they set record for lowest numbers in 30 years. prices were hard to judge. they said the crowd was a record too, trying to see what was up. last week was pretty much normal.
> Checked the prices for last week
> and they only went down a little.
> What was very noticable was the
> number sold, way down compared to
> same time last yr or even before
> the holiday break. Like normal
> would be 1200, but only 250 went
> through.

[email protected]

> in our area north ark. they set
> record for lowest numbers in 30
> years. prices were hard to judge.
> they said the crowd was a record
> too, trying to see what was up.
> last week was pretty much normal. I think you will do better with bred cows in the 2nd to 3rd stage, quicker returns on your money. I just started the middle of last year and so far they have been calving good. If prices stay somewhat the same you should come close to getting your investment back by your calves the first season. I have bought mixed breeds and have bought some 5-7yr olds along with 2-3yr olds to get my average to where a 600lb calf will bust me out of their momma. Thats my take on it and I wish you the best.

[email protected]

> in our area north ark. they set
> record for lowest numbers in 30
> years. prices were hard to judge.
> they said the crowd was a record
> too, trying to see what was up.
> last week was pretty much normal. Jcarkie, Did you meet Paris Hilton or Nicole Ritchie there in Ark? If you do, throw the sluts in the mud pits hahha!

[email protected]

Didn't actually meet them, but I did see them(wasn't impressed). I have alot of clients in Altus and they said that whole show was alot of BS! I assure you, we dont still pluck chickens around here!

[email protected]

Latest posts