Starting a Calf Operation out fresh

Help Support CattleToday:

Chad Boese

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Chad Boese, from Wisconsin. I am only 20 years old. I worked on a Calf Operation for a good part of my life and found out thats what I wanna do for the rest of my life. I have worked with hundreds of thousands of calves in my life time, I am able to point out certain sicknesses, how to feed and take care of properly. I have also raised my own calves and had complete success with them as well. I know I am only 20 years old, but I wanna start my operation by the end of this summer. And my main question is would a farmer that has been farmer for a long time, thats looking for a calf raiser, would they let a 20 year old raise their calves. would anyone give a 20 year old a chance? I know I am able to do this but, I dont want to start it where no one would give me the opertunity because of my age. I am not saying I no everything about farming, theres a lot more for me to learn about farming, but over time I will learn.

If you are not sure what a calf raiser is I will briefly describe it.
They raise for dairys around the state that dont have time or the room for their calves so, I would raise them to around 6 months and they would be sent back to the farm they came from.

Yes, it happens a lot in my area. Often they will make you sign a contract that says that you have to sell back all of the heifers, tells you what vaccines to give, and similar things.

if you want to start a calf ranch theres some things you need todo.1 is have the land to start on.2 decide how meny calves you can raise at once from birth to weaning.3 have hutches or calf pens for the calves.4 have vet to help with the calves health.5 talk to some dairies an see if they would let you raise their calves from birth to weaning.

Chad Boese":23ed46hf said:
And my main question is would a farmer that has been farmer for a long time, thats looking for a calf raiser, would they let a 20 year old raise their calves. would anyone give a 20 year old a chance?

That is going to depend entirely on you, your attitude, demeanor, and knowledge. I have a few doubts about your claim of working with "hundreds of thousands of calves in your lifetime", but I suppose it could be true given the nature of the dairy industry. Can you walk the walk as well as talk the talk? You have stated that you can point out disease, but do you also know how to treat those diseases? You have stated that you have experience in dairy calves, but what about beef calves? Are you familiar with their illnesses/diseases as well, or are you looking for a dairy type job? The two are not neccessarily interchangeable. I would imagine that if you presented yourself as a confident, knowledgable individual who was not overly cocky, and could provide a few references you would be given a chance to prove yourself at most operations. It might not be at the level that you had hoped for, but it would definitely get you in the door and be a start.

I have worked with that many calves when u work on the 3rd largest calf farm in the state and bring in over 100's of calves a week from different big dairys its possible but I dont know the exact amount. and yes i know about beef as well there was beef at the farm. When you work with this many animals in a period of time you learn a lot and I know I have learned a whole lot about dairy animals as well as beef, but i know there is a lot more to learn that is why i am going to school as well. Yes I know how to treat diseases my boss trained me on those kinds of things, but there is still improvement that needs to me made, I am not trying to be cocky I don't see how any of that I put was cocky.

Thankyou, for your reply
Chad

Chad Boese":2yshl7rc said:
I am not trying to be cocky I don't see how any of that I put was cocky.

Chad

I didn't mean to imply you were being cocky, nor did I take your post that way. I apologize for not making myself more clear. FWIW, I am always seeing advertisements in the Western Livestock Journal, The Fencepost, and the High Plains Journal for help with cow/calf operations, feed lots, etc. You might consider checking some of them out. They all have websites, and WLJ requires a subscription to either the website or their paper to access that website, but I don't know about the other 2. Good luck! :)

Let me tell you something----If you believe in yourself,others will too !!! Forget all the negativity you'll here and---GO FOR IT !!! Confidence and experience are picked up on QUICK, no matter how old you are ! I remember myself well at 20 and was running my own buisness doing quite well-------- GOOD LUCK----Keep us informed ! :D :help:

talldog":1n3l2a1h said:
Let me tell you something----If you believe in yourself,others will too !!! Forget all the negativity you'll here and---GO FOR IT !!! Confidence and experience are picked up on QUICK, no matter how old you are ! I remember myself well at 20 and was running my own buisness doing quite well-------- GOOD LUCK----Keep us informed ! :D :help:

Hey, thanks for the reply, I am doing great right now, I am running an operation right now and doing well. I have 335 calves right now, I have a few calves i have been treating with, banamine, baytral and neuflor. And they are showing a lot of imporvment!

Chad