Started calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
Started calving this week sure am glad the weather cooled down some was only 86 today
Have 9 or 10 on the ground and a few more to go hopefully will be done by the first week in Oct but will surely have a handful got til the end as always

Looks like the Gateopener will have her hands full next month when I make a trek to Jeds to bale cornstalks should be in full swing about the time I leave
we were just talking today about how having 2 or 3 a day was boring but sure gets tiring having 10 or more a day when they really get to popping

Calving season is like hay season around here you are excited when it starts but sure are glad when its over

Angus Cowman":rkh9esdi said:
Calving season is like hay season around here you are excited when it starts but sure are glad when its over
And midway thorugh you're wondering why you looked forward to it and if it will ever end!

dun":2h4pp18p said:
Angus Cowman":2h4pp18p said:
And midway thorugh you're wondering why you looked forward to it and if it will ever end!

Nah, all you need is enough calves per day for the adrenalin to kick in, then it never gets old.
Two or three calves a day does get boring. Feels like nothing happened at all, till I look at my notebook and see there's calves written up in there for that day.

plumber_greg":1mcnfkr2 said:
How can a cow have a calf without any snow? gs

:lol2: :lol2: And after last winter I was beginning to wonder if it was possible anytime when you calved to not find snow...But today might qualify as a little warm as its 94 degrees with 30 to 40 mph winds blowing,,,

Angus Cowman":z8gke640 said:
dun":z8gke640 said:
Angus Cowman":z8gke640 said:
And midway thorugh you're wondering why you looked forward to it and if it will ever end![/quote]
:nod: :nod: :nod:

We start calving late September so I still have that glow of anticipation, but you nailed it I am always excited to see it start but sure glad when it is finally over! We are at the end of haying and looks like the weather is gonna allow us to get some up starting on Friday......I am in no way looking forward to that job, could have something to do with the 107 heat index and the only shade on my tractor is my hat.

Gizmom

Oldtimer":2det01gb said:
plumber_greg":2det01gb said:
How can a cow have a calf without any snow? gs

:lol2: :lol2: And after last winter I was beginning to wonder if it was possible anytime when you calved to not find snow...But today might qualify as a little warm as its 94 degrees with 30 to 40 mph winds blowing,,,
Cooolll........Send it down....

Latest posts