Start Up

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":1l9vb6nl said:
greybeard":1l9vb6nl said:
I just sold 17 acres--just pastureland and fenced, with 1 old barn and a small shed on it. $120,000. No house-- no well, no septic.
$7060/ac and that's about the going price here--or less. At that price, 100ac would cost $706,000.
So right off the bat, before you bought your first heifer, you would be down nearly $3/4 million.

My daughter just purchased 160 plus acres. Barn. Barn is huge, wooden and in excellent condition. 4 water wells. 1917 Craftsman home that is in nice shape. Immaculate. A few sheds and outbuildings. All land is useable farm land. Fenced and cross fenced into 5 pieces. Ponds on 4 of the 5 pieces. Excellent pasture across the entire place. Sandy loam. Gorman, Texas. Less than $400,000. Cows can pay for it at that price. She already has cattle. Right around $2500 an acre with a house and great infrastructure. Working pens etc. I do believe she needs to improve the working arena and pens, chutes etc. Maybe another $5,000 investment but she can work with what's there. Her husband already has several thousand feet of pipe and rod on their other place.

An engineer I work with just bought 270 acres right outside of Fort Towson, Okalhoma. $1075 pr acre. I have not seen the property personally. Just pictures. I would say most of it is useable for grazing and probably 1/3 of it could be tilled and planted. Another 1/3 could be put into improved pasture.

In my opinion, with the current interest rates, a man can pay $4500 an acre for good farm land and the cows can pay for it. No income mind you. Just getting it paid for by cows and holding on for capital gain.

Cedar infested rock hilltop around here is going for over $10,000 an acre. It would take 40 acres per cow. People are paying those prices based on location. I sold mine. Huge capital gains.

What is the carrying capacity on the farm your daughter bought?

Latest posts