start of my new herd

Help Support CattleToday:

djones

Reaction score
Well I have been reading on this board for quite a while now and decided it was time for me to start my own herd
here is a pic of my new herd.

The black one is 7 months and 438 LB
The bigger red one (far right) 5 months old and 338 Lb
and the littler red one (front center) is 4 months old and 236 lbs
They are Limousine in breed

I am deciding to start small and go slow I have these 3 heifers right now and will purchase a bull
real soon and build my herd slowly.

Now I have a question about vaccines and I know by reading that everyone has there own preference but
would you vaccine the first time with cattlemaster gold FP5 and vision 8 or would you vaccine with the
Bovi Sheild Gold FP5 + VL5 and vision 8. any and all comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and looking forward to being associated with this group of people

Chuck
Circle S Ranch

Congratulations!

What type place did you buy them from? Reason for my question,

For your breed they look a little thin (BCS or 4 or so). The depression in front of hindquarters is suspect of a need to de-worm them (could also be lack of groceries at the seller's and/or weight loss (shrinkage) due to relocation and transport). If the seller didn't furnish a documented vaccination record, then assume they were not vaccinated. Anyhow, need to have blackleg and the respiratory vaccinations (with a booster in 3-4 weeks). As heifers they should have a brucellosis vaccination and tag by your Vet. We use Covexin 8 (8 way blackleg) and ViraShield 6 (BVD, IBR, PI3, BRSV). Even if they were properly vaccinated I would de-worm again. If there is no worm or other health problem then they should fill out to BCS of 5 or so in a few weeks with proper nutrition.

On a bull: You don't need a bull until heifers are at least 14 months old at beginning of breeding age. Get the very best bull you can afford (or) use A.I.

Thanks for the input, They were purchased from a breeder who lives down the road from me and raises limo's
for show, They were wormed today with Ivomex, and I am going to have the vet come out the first part of the
week to administer the brucellosis vaccination and tag. and as far as the other vaccination I was wanting a little input
as I am going to order some on Monday. Please excuse the dumb question but I feel like the only dumb question is
the one not asked. but what does the BCS stand for?
Tkanks

Chuck - Congrats on your starter herd!! RAB offers some excellent advice and the vaccinations should be at the top of your list along with a strong parasite control like Ivemec Plus or Valbazon. How's the nutritional value of your grass? I would definitely get them going on a balanced nutritional program to get their body condition up. If you don't have any grass or clover going you may want to get them on a combination of hay and feed. Or maybe some liquid supplemental feed. Looks like you have a fun project to jump into!!

BCS = Body Condition Score

This site might help: http://www.cowbcs.info/photogallery.html

You are goign to have to wait a while till you can breed them. Any reason you bought them so young?

I'd definitely give them a shot for blackleg. As for the rest of the shots - I'd do what is common for your area. If you were around me, blackleg is all I'd give but that's just me.

The biggest reason I bought them so young was the price. ( I still have to feed the family a little :D

BM: as far as my grass on a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 6 we need some rain I do have them started on
hay and feed, hay all the time and feed twice a day.

How often is safe to de-worm?

Concerning vaccinations and worming programs talk to the vet when he/she is out to bangs them. You may discover that for only a few head it;s cheaper to have the vet do the vaccinations so you don;t have as much vaccine to throw away

I agree with Dun on the vacs. If you already have the vet there why buy a bottle of vaccine and throw it away later.

You should definately think about Ai'ing those heifers. Doesn't make a lot of sense to feed a bull year round and put up with all that entails for 3 heifers.

Looks like you are off to a great start. Good luck!

CattleHand":2h8zlcr9 said:
You are goign to have to wait a while till you can breed them. Any reason you bought them so young?

I heard that. You cant breed the 7 month old for at least I would say 7-8 more months to be on the safe side. The 4 month old one you will have to wait 10-11 months, and the five month old one you will have to wait around 10 months. That is an awful lot of feed money between now and then. You would have come out cheaper buying bred heifers or even older cows.

djones":3owrau13 said:
Thanks for the input, They were purchased from a breeder who lives down the road from me and raises limo's
for show, They were wormed today with Ivomex, and I am going to have the vet come out the first part of the
week to administer the brucellosis vaccination and tag. and as far as the other vaccination I was wanting a little input
as I am going to order some on Monday. Please excuse the dumb question but I feel like the only dumb question is
the one not asked. but what does the BCS stand for?
Tkanks

Suggestion: rather than trying to determine on line the best vaccination plan for you calves, you have the vet coming out for the brucellosis tag etc - just call ahead of time and have him or her administer whatever vaccinations he suggests for your area. I would assume they have had nothing done so far. jmho. Good luck.

Ok now it is time to make sure you have a decent handling facility!

Since the vet is comming anyway...have him take care of the whole bunch. He knows what they need for your area and can give you a quick lesson on cattle nutrition. Thoes gals need some attention...just me but I like a bit more condition on my cattle...been accused of having fat cows but I just chuckle and count my extra $$$ when one leaves the place.
Good luck to you. Dmc

Well here are a few updated pictures of my girls, It has been almost a month since I got them they have been de-wormed
and vaccinated the vet will come out next week and do the bangs on them. I have had them on a diet of grain and all the pasture and hey (Mainly Coastal) they want. The first picture is the ingredients for the grain that I feed them approx 40 Lbs a day in two feedings
20 lbs each feeding.
Fire away and let me know what you think I think that the their BCS is a 4 or better?? any how let me know if there is anything I can do better. Thanks for all your time and help.

Chuck
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

That black heifer sure looks to be in better shape than the other two....if you'd ask me what BCS score she is, I'd say she's an easy +/- 4.75. The littler thinner one, about 3.75. The third in between the other two.

Good luck and have fun with them! :)

They have filled out pretty good in last month.I'd give the black one a 5 the other two are less but still decent from what they did look like.

If all you got is these three heifers, why buy a bull? If all you got is three, I will guarantee you that the Vet can come out and A.I. them cheaper than you can feed and care properly for a bull, plus you can get a better bull, you don't have to build a bull pen, or keep a seperate pasture, and frankly I would rather not spend $1500-4000 on a bull who will only work 3 days a year (and these heifers will probably all be cycling on the same day anyway).

Brandonm22 you are correct, I have decided not to purchase a bull at this time when it is time for the heifers
to be bred I will AI them.

djones":2xqzyksp said:
Brandonm22 you are correct, I have decided not to purchase a bull at this time when it is time for the heifers
to be bred I will AI them.

Now since you made that decision go buy you another cow with your bull money.

Latest posts