Start of fall calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
Well our fall season has started. I think I'm in the minority that calves in the fall, but I'll take sept/oct calves over the 10-25% loss due to cold/wet that folks had this spring around here.

The first two are heifers.

This one is our heifers out of Comrade. She's small, but great feet/legs, tame as a puppy, and good body capacity. Her new heifer calf is out of DV All In. I know some of you seem to hate that bull for some reason, but it's my herd, and I'll do what I want! haha.

This one is a Capitalist daughter, her Dam is behind her. I don't know her history, but she's my favorite cow in the herd, great to work, always breeds first try, and just a good cow. So I'm excited for their heifer calf. I'm trying to decide what cross she is, but thinking there must be some red back there somewhere.

Congrats! Starting out strong.
I love my fall calves, but I need to only have a dozen or less because I keep them separated from the rest of the herd through the winter. I don't have to worry about wet and cold for the rest of calving, because I calve in Jan & Feb - cold yes - but "generally" not wet!! Lots of nice clean snow.

We try to calve about 50/50 spring and fall. Had a group last year breed sporadically, about half the group, but we had had all that rain too and the grass was what we called "washy" and didn't have the nutrition I don't think. Some were a bit thinner than I think they should have been too. Vet said maybe low mag... so we put them back to get bred for spring calves. They will get preg checked soon and any not bred this time around will leave. I like the fall calves also, and the earlier the better, in fact I have no qualms about August calves. They are decent sized going into the winter, the market is a little better for feeders in the spring, and we usually have plenty of hay as well as some sort of silage, grain sorghum last year, corn this year. So it works. I like my spring calves a little later so that the weather is hopefully not as cold if it is wet.... we can wean and hold if need to in the late fall.

Had 2 new calves on first calf heifers today, it was getting near dark when I found the second one as she is a grey charl x and did not stand out in the dusk. Had a grey calf out of a black bull, I think it is a bull calf. The other a black heifer, had a black bull calf. That's 3 out of ours, had another the other day, and I think there are 12 more to go. Use a nice easy calving bull that throws small calves, they pop them out like popcorn, and grow decent. The cows have had 3, and I think they were bought cows, and the rest of the cows should be dropping them any time now. It's still hot for here, but nights have been cooling off and temps supposed to drop by the weekend.

Had several more calves over the weekend. Here is an odd ball. He is out of DV All In. It's a bull that I almost feel bad banding. Suppose there's someone out there that might be interested in him?

Latest posts