staples on cows ear?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recently bought a cow and just now noticed that she has 2 metal staples in her ear with numbers on one and Minn on the other. I am sure they are an ID# for something but don't really know for what. Can anybody give me any info , state ID ? Auction? She is just getting used to us getting up close enough to her to notice it now and I guess that is why I didn't notice it when I bought her.
Thanks!

The Staples you are talking about are probably the bangs vacination tag. If you look closely it should have a vet stamp no. also. Not sure why there would be two though.

speaking of bangs tags....I have a cow who has recently lost her bangs tag! She has the hole in her ear where it was, and her i d tag in the other ear is still on, but she lost the bangs tag about a month ago. I dont plan on selling her any time soon, but could I sell her at the salebarn without this tag? Also, if calves havent been bangs vaccinated by the time they go to salebarn, can they be sold? Will barn vet vaccinate them day of sale?

eric said:
speaking of bangs tags....I have a cow who has recently lost her bangs tag! She has the hole in her ear where it was, and her i d tag in the other ear is still on, but she lost the bangs tag about a month ago. I dont plan on selling her any time soon, but could I sell her at the salebarn without this tag? Also, if calves havent been bangs vaccinated by the time they go to salebarn, can they be sold? Will barn vet vaccinate them day of sale?

Yes you can still sell her but around here they stamp her with a S for "suspect?" and then they dock her pretty good. As for the calves you can sell them also, but they ( heifers) have to be vaccinated before they're a year old. Don't know if the Vet at the Sale Barn will do it or not, we only vacinate or replacement heifers and do that when we wean them.

;-)

Bangs vaccination is not required in all states. Beef animals unless intended for out of state sales are rarly vaccinated in MO. All dairy heifers are. If not vaccinated and the animal is going to be moved in interstate commerce, a blood test is normally all that is required.
dun

TLCfromARK":prgjqw35 said:
eric":prgjqw35 said:

Yes you can still sell her but around here they stamp her with a S for "suspect?" and then they dock her pretty good. As for the calves you can sell them also, but they ( heifers) have to be vaccinated before they're a year old. Don't know if the Vet at the Sale Barn will do it or not, we only vacinate or replacement heifers and do that when we wean them.

;-)

eric":3o24h4ia said:

Eric, I don't think that should be a problem because she still has a visible tattoo inside her ear.

Rod

Make sure you tell the sale barn to check for the tatoo in her ear, usually the right ear. She won't be stamped as suspect unless she test as such.
At least in Texas that is the way it is done.

eric":1g69imvt said:

Latest posts