standing heat or 12 hrs. after

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I have a cow that has in the past 3 years not taken when I synchro and time AI, so I am going to try to do it on natural heat. I called my AI tech to see if he would be able to come 12 hours after standing heat, he said if he was in the area, otherwise he'll just do it at standing heat. What is the proper protocal?

Dee":fmsphyz5 said:
I have a cow that has in the past 3 years not taken when I synchro and time AI, so I am going to try to do it on natural heat. I called my AI tech to see if he would be able to come 12 hours after standing heat, he said if he was in the area, otherwise he'll just do it at standing heat. What is the proper protocal?
if you catch the cow in standing heat.id AI her right then.

Normally you breed 12 hours after standing heat...

...has this cow been open for 3 years, or does she run with a cleanup bull?

It's 12 hours following observed in standing heat. That could put her being AIed anywhere from an hour or 2 after she goes out to almost 12 hours.
If she's bred in the last couple of hours of being in standing in heat she has a decent chance of settling.
The whole 12 hours following observed standing heat has to do with the timing of ovulation and the life expectancy of the sperm inside the cow.

dun

Milkmaid, She goes in with a bull after several failed attempts at AI. Always gets bred within the first few days with the bull tho.

The gentleman that taught me to AI had over 50 years exp. His thoughts were that the bull doesn"t wait 12 hours so why should we. I usually breed within a couple of hours of observed standing heat and have always had very good conception rates.

Well idid go 0 for 9 on one bull. They all caught next time around. Bad semen?

If you've been breeding her 12hrs out of standing heat, change your timing on her. Either breed her in heat or wait till 24hrs out of standing heat. I'd personally try the latter.

spike":3hvw27si said:
The gentleman that taught me to AI had over 50 years exp. His thoughts were that the bull doesn"t wait 12 hours so why should we.

Frozen semen doesn't have as long of a life as fresh semen. If you breed too early with frozen semen, it may not live until the cow ovulates.

My protocol used to be to breed within six hours of the observed end of standing heat and my conception rates were excellent. These days, after reading up a lot more information, if I catch the start of standing heat, I do it from ten hours from that time, as long as that doesn't put me too far outside of my previous timing. I do them myself though, so I'm not waiting on someone else's availability and if I want to breed one at 11pm, I can - if I can drag the old guy out of bed to hold the torch, of course. ;-)

milkmaid":1kotqibu said:
spike":1kotqibu said:
The gentleman that taught me to AI had over 50 years exp. His thoughts were that the bull doesn"t wait 12 hours so why should we.

Frozen semen doesn't have as long of a life as fresh semen. If you breed too early with frozen semen, it may not live until the cow ovulates.

Was also explained to me that the bull does not deposit it in the same place as you do when you A.I. so that changes the time frame also. Not sure about sperm traveling speed but it made sense to me :lol:

Yes the sperm does have to travel further when bull deposits it.

yes the sperm does have to travel further when the bull deposits it. As long as it is alive at ovulatin you are is business.

Latest posts