Standing Heat...Bleed off

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Question:
About three days after standing heat a bleed off occurs, does this mean the egg is being shed??? Or, does this simply mean that the heifer was in standing heat in the previous days???
Opinions?

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but a while back I had a group of cows I was sure got bred after standing heat, but many bled off. I did some research and found that something like 70% of cows that get bred still bleed off. In short, bleed off is certainly a sign that an animal is in heat, but is not an indicator of whether or not conception has taken place. If you do a search on this topic you'll find a research paper I found on this subject attached to the thread.

KNERSIE":17qs3s3i said:
It is a sign that ovulation has taken place, nothing more nothing less.
But it will be asked and answered again in a month or 2.

dun":23balhiy said:
KNERSIE":23balhiy said:
It is a sign that ovulation has taken place, nothing more nothing less.
But it will be asked and answered again in a month or 2.
Ops, sorry if this was previously covered.... I have heard a few opinions and was wondering what views I would get from my friends at CT. I had been told and was under the impression that it was shedding of the egg, obviously... not necessarily true. Thanks Knersie. (MM too ;-) I appreciate the info!)

angus9259":1zvts8hh said:
Not exactly sure what you're asking, but a while back I had a group of cows I was sure got bred after standing heat, but many bled off. I did some research and found that something like 70% of cows that get bred still bleed off. In short, bleed off is certainly a sign that an animal is in heat, but is not an indicator of whether or not conception has taken place. If you do a search on this topic you'll find a research paper I found on this subject attached to the thread.
Was it in the Breeding Calving Board? I did a search on "bleed off" and didn't find it.

CKC1586":1u16urba said:
angus9259":1u16urba said:
Was it in the Breeding Calving Board? I did a search on "bleed off" and didn't find it.
Do a search for ovulation, should get a bunch of hits

CKC1586":2vzn93om said:
angus9259":2vzn93om said:

I think this will get you there

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62949

angus9259":199q4z0v said:
CKC1586":199q4z0v said:
angus9259":199q4z0v said:

I think this will get you there

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62949
Thank you!!!!

Latest posts