standing hay price

Help Support CattleToday:

Never seen hay prices crash after a drought. In three months there won't be any hay for sale but if there is it won't be a bargain.

bigbull338":3mcfoj5z said:
it amazes me how meny here have said its a supply an demand deal.but yet very few has the guts to ride the drought out.most of the texas members has already sold down to less than 10hd here on CT.an the others are hauling cattle.but its ok if you want to quit completely.like ive said ill cull hard but dont have any plans of quitting.
Not a dam thing to do with guts...it's business...sometimes it takes more "guts" to sell out than hang in and lose your ass......wanna buy some hay?? I got some. :cowboy:

TexasBred":2ay5bxlc said:
bigbull338":2ay5bxlc said:
it amazes me how meny here have said its a supply an demand deal.but yet very few has the guts to ride the drought out.most of the texas members has already sold down to less than 10hd here on CT.an the others are hauling cattle.but its ok if you want to quit completely.like ive said ill cull hard but dont have any plans of quitting.
Not a dam thing to do with guts...it's business...sometimes it takes more "guts" to sell out than hang in and lose your ass......wanna buy some hay?? I got some. :cowboy:
As the song says "You gotta know when to hold em, you gotta know when to fold em"

bigbull338":3fm8dyfk said:

Selling out... "quitting"... has nothing to do with guts.... its basic math.

i guess i just think differant than yall do,an thats ok.i just cant see selling out everytime it gets tough.ive sold out 2 times for various reasons,an ive regretted it both times.i dont mind spending the money to feed an keep the cows.an yes the cost to keep them will blow your mind.an i wont be buying any hay unless i can get it at my price.

the only improvement it can make around here is culling the stock herd down.an then only buying back reg cattle.

Bigbull it looks like I owe you an apology. I can't give hay away standing. I guess no one wants to haul it very far. If it was closer to me, I would cut it even though I don't need any more.

cabo you hit the nail on the head.no matter what the hay is some people dont want it because of the hauling costs.i know guys that are baling hay in oklahoma an hauling back to texas.but he has no choice as he needs 4000 to 5000 bales to feed close to 1000hd.

Cabo":2k5o7fzd said:
Bigbull it looks like I owe you an apology. I can't give hay away standing. I guess no one wants to haul it very far. If it was closer to me, I would cut it even though I don't need any more.

Should you consider cutting it for yourself and keep it for future reserves? Who knows, could be Tennessee in a drought next year.

What is the "shelf live" of a roll of hay by they way? 2 years? I know the nutrient value dissipates with time but as a rule of thumb, how long is a big bale viable?

the life of a hay bale varies.stored outside in our area it can last 5 or 6yrs.mind you it may look like crapp,but they will still eat it.hay stored in the barn can last till you decide to feed it.my cousin has a barn full of hay thats 6yrs old or older.but i bet he comes close to feeding it this year.

TennesseeTuxedo":2cncjnem said:
Should you consider cutting it for yourself and keep it for future reserves? Who knows, could be Tennessee in a drought next year.
TT the drought part is very true but it is about 150 miles from me and I can get hay closer. My friend says it is very good hay and since it is closer to the drought areas I thought surely someone would want it. A few years ago I was cutting hay that hadn't been cut in years, released CRP land, pretty much anything. I can get it free within 15 miles of my farms so that is my reserve.