Stairway to Heaven

Help Support CattleToday:

I have some hearing damage that makes all but 3 women singers and 1 group(that I've found so far) sound like screech owls. This one isn;t among those 3. The 3 are Wynona Judd, Ann Murray and Reba McEntyre. The group is Wild Rose. Years ago I heard one song by Whitney Houston that didn;t hurt my ears and give me a headache. There was only one and I don;t know which one it was.

Cover songs are very hard to do... Jesse Winchester did respect to Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown", and there's a couple others I can't think of just now...

IMO, Willie and company did a lot better cover job on Pancho and Lefty than it's writer and original singer Townes Van Zandt or the recording Emmylou Harris did.

Pancho and Lefty" is a song written by country singer and songwriter Townes Van Zandt. Often considered his "most enduring and well-known song," Van Zandt first recorded it for his 1972 album, The Late Great Townes Van Zandt.[1] Emmylou Harris then covered the song for her 1977 album, Luxury Liner. Also in 1977, Hoyt Axton recorded it on his album Snowblind Friend. The song became a number one country hit in 1983 when Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson adopted it as the title track of their duet album Pancho & Lefty.

Something that irritates me is when an artist does an original version of a song and does it really well, then later tarts it all up trying to "improve" it.
Roger Miller did that a lot but in his case it may have been the booze and dope that clouded his memory how it was originally done.

Latest posts