Stagy Steer Deal ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":4fmij6fz said:
Got some discounted 6 weight steers. A couple look stagy. I can see a lump on the belly of one. What is the best way to remove it?

With a trailer back to stockyard. Some guys are lucky removing them, some aren't.

A lump on the belly? Leave it alone.

I've recut stags that were castrated when one testicle was undescended and later dropped.
But if you can't get the testicle to move easily to the sack area, it's behind muscle tissue or intestine and as Kenny said,
then a Vet which will cost you more than it's worth. Feed 'em out as far as you can or if doing that causes trouble then
back to the ring for the next guy.

Yep; let it ride...
I wouldn't take it on... could turn into a disaster, and likely the setback he'd have would eat up any discount you'd take on him - not to mention what I (or any other vet) would need to charge you for trying it

I'd also make sure he isn't exposed to any heifers. I weaned 10 days ago and one of my crew noticed a steer looked a little bullish. Not really visible just looking at him but could definitely feel the nut. Elected against surgery because of too much stress coupled with weaning so he's now at the barn with a steer from last year we're feeding out. I'm always diligent about pulling the bulls 4-6 weeks prior to weaning and giving the heifers a shot of Lute but now I'm going to have to give them another round next month if I want to sell them guaranteed open. :bang:

You could make some money with a short term feeding. Separate the stags, and put them on a ultra low roughage, high corn diet, for say 30 days. Help slow down some frame growth, and help feed their high energy needs. But that may be more of a break even kind of thing, but hey corns cheap, and only getting cheaper! :lol:

Latest posts