Stacked on tires

Help Support CattleToday:

A real hay tarp costs about $200 for a 25 foot by 48 foot. They come in many sizes to fit your stack and bale size. With 4 foot wide bales, that tarp will cover 66 bales with overhang on the ends. About $3 per bale capacity to buy the tarp. If the tarp lasts 5 years, about 60 cents per stored bale is the cost. If 3 years, then $1 per bale. You can buy a "cheap" tarp at TSC for about $120. It will last one year or less. You can get an even "cheaper" one at Lowes that will last 4 to 6 months in the sun. If hay is stacked and there is leakage that wets the hay, it does not dry under the tarp and will rot. Better to store it uncovered and not stacked than to stack it and let it get wet in an area that gets a good bit of rain.
Sometimes lowest cost to purchase is not the least cost to own.

I cou
I have used one of the super tarps (https://www.supertarp.com/) with good results and some bill board tarps. First billboard tarps I got were better than the second order, lot thicker and better condition. I just run rope under the bale and tie to pipe in the sleeve. So far doing it that way they have stayed on. Billboard tarps have really increase in price though.
ld only find 14' billboard tarps. I ended up ordering an actual hay tarp. Hope I can keep this crappy one together til it comes

Might have been said as I did not read all. The easiest spacer off of the ground I ever used when we had outside hay was two power poles side by side, in close enough to straddle with the tractor tires.

Sorry Bigfoot, I did not mean to hijack your thread. I was just upset that I lost a roof this weekend.
How many rolls are you putting under the tarp? Here, most don't stack them, they just line them up with lots of space in between.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yea you meant to hijack his thread. That'd funny doe. Bahahahaha. Just playing.
Yea I to line them up have races on the tops. 😆😝

I cou

ld only find 14' billboard tarps. I ended up ordering an actual hay tarp. Hope I can keep this crappy one together til it comes
Which tarp did you buy? I used some the 14' billboard tarps on a 2 1 stack. They worked good about 2 years life then they crack bad. Harder to handle in cold weather. Their price has more than doubled so I Will probably get Super tarp again. Put conduit thru the sleeve and ropes under the bales.

Which tarp did you buy? I used some the 14' billboard tarps on a 2 1 stack. They worked good about 2 years life then they crack bad. Harder to handle in cold weather. Their price has more than doubled so I Will probably get Super tarp again. Put conduit thru the sleeve and ropes under the bales.
MYTEE Products. Should have done Missouri hay tarps. Guy didn't call me back til the end of the day, and I had already ordered.

give these folks a call THE C-C RANCH 1-800-364-3551. They have the best canvas around.

13 of these down each side. Slide underground conduit through them, and tie it down to big truck tires? Or tie each one to a truck tire? That's a lot of tires.

Attachments

• 75D5569C-EA72-4B4E-984B-4B135F3A33AB.jpeg
    75D5569C-EA72-4B4E-984B-4B135F3A33AB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I have the WYTEE tarp in place. General appearance is, it's high quality with good nylon loops to secure it. I have 216 rolls under tarp, and on truck tires, and setting on gravel. If the tarp last 2 years, it'll cost about $1.70 per roll. I was loosing 1/3 of a $45 roll of hay, by late spring. $45 x .333= $15. I won't be tarting anymore this year (until I see how this goes. I'll have 250 rolls in a barn, 216 rolls under tarp, and the remainder will sit out. The outside hay will be fed first. I "normally see minimal loss on it.

Now start checking into a hay barn. In less than 10 years it will pay for its self. And FSA has some very low interest loans for hay storage buildings. Like 1% I think

Now start checking into a hay barn. In less than 10 years it will pay for its self. And FSA has some very low interest loans for hay storage buildings. Like 1% I think
If I like this, I'd be more inclined to concrete the hay barn I have, close in the last wall, and finally have a nice big shop.

If I like this, I'd be more inclined to concrete the hay barn I have, close in the last wall, and finally have a nice big shop.
Hope we don't see it but remember that statement if we get a big snow next winter and your up on top of the stack trying to get the hay tarp rolled back to get a few rolls.

Hope we don't see it but remember that statement if we get a big snow next winter and your up on top of the stack trying to get the hay tarp rolled back to get a few rolls.
How quickly we forget. Didn't even think of that.

We get 200+ inches of snow a winter on my tarps and never have issues rolling them back. Loader or plow truck to push the snow off the ground down the sides and the near 45 degree angle on the slippery tarp does the rest of the job.

Here's my luck. Evidently we had an F0 or F1 tornado spin up here while I was down the road at a wedding. Tore the doors off my horse barn, and shredded the tarps. I think I put them on Wednesday.

Latest posts