Stacked on tires

Help Support CattleToday:

Not very happy with how the rep is secured. I would normally tie a few golf balls in a billboard tarp. Not sure the silage tarp is up for that.

Attachments

• E71BFF1F-2B1B-4653-89D6-4FFFB7BDFF3A.jpeg
    E71BFF1F-2B1B-4653-89D6-4FFFB7BDFF3A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 23
Somebody offer me a suggestion. That tarp has just about fallen off in less than 24 hours, and it even windy.

Somebody offer me a suggestion. That tarp has just about fallen off in less than 24 hours, and it even windy.
Tarp needs a string in every eyelet and down and tied to something heavy. A string or rope underneath the rolls as you stacked them and come up and tie in the eyelet would be perfect. But too late for that now

Tarp needs a string in every eyelet and down and tied to something heavy. A string or rope underneath the rolls as you stacked them and come up and tie in the eyelet would be perfect. But too late for that now
I don't think these silage tarps would hold an eyelet. I tied a golf ball in them, and it's holding for now

Lay down heavy (square bale) plastic twine or rope on the ground before you stack the hay. Two pieces under each row of bales as you stack it. That puts twine about every two feet. Leave several feet sticking out. Stack hay in a 3-2-1 configuration. Tight uniform hay is easy to stack. Loose tapered hay is more difficult. Put the tarp on. You can put rope on the tarp and pull it over the stack. Tie the twine to the tarp holddown points. As the hay settles, retie the twine to keep it tight. Ties the ends together with twine to keep the wind from getting under it. These tarps will last several years if they are tied down well.
Good hay tarps are expensive, but will last several years. They have sewn in strap loops. I normally tie the loops to the rope/twine laid under the hay. But, you can slide a pipe or metal conduit into the loops and then tie the pipe or EMT conduit to screw-in ground fasteners or concrete blocks or heavy timbers laid on the ground. Tarp must be kept tight to keep it from flapping and moving.

Hayanchors.com
Best product for securing a hay tarp. Gemplers sells them. Have some that I've used several years.

The only tarps I ever used were 2nd hand cotton module covers.
My neighbor got a few of those give to him. He fought with them for a year and they were shredded. They may have already been ripped that I could not see.

Mine (5) were given to me as well. My brother brought them from near Little Rock around 2013. Two were in real good shape and I still use them but the other 3 only lasted a year.
Green/white and blue/white and all had some kind of advertisement on them. The green ones advertised a John Deere dealer and the blue ones ads for a farm implement dealer in Eastern Ark.

They have to be dry when you fold them up and store them for sure.

in my part of the world, tarp and 'plastic' are pretty much interchangeable nowadays. I haven't seen many real canvas tarps in a long time, even for tents and if I never ever ever ever have to sleep under a real tarpaulin roof or sides again I'll die a little happier.

I have used one of the super tarps (https://www.supertarp.com/) with good results and some bill board tarps. First billboard tarps I got were better than the second order, lot thicker and better condition. I just run rope under the bale and tie to pipe in the sleeve. So far doing it that way they have stayed on. Billboard tarps have really increase in price though.

I bought bill board tarps the were essentially new for $35 each. I bought a dozen and put them on a pallet to send to a friend in Idaho. They apparently don't have bill boards up there.

Latest posts