Stacked on tires

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
We'll see how this goes. If I didn't have 3 teenagers, I'd drop this project. There is 6" rock, and a big truck tire. Bought a silage tarp to cover.

Attachments

• 9FB1BF69-910D-42F1-B24D-6709BD0C3F0F.jpeg
    9FB1BF69-910D-42F1-B24D-6709BD0C3F0F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • A2AC1426-3C01-412E-B8E6-051EEA886070.jpeg
    A2AC1426-3C01-412E-B8E6-051EEA886070.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 53
That arrangement HAS to be covered. If not the rain runs off the top bales, down to the second row and own down. If not fed quickly the bottom center row will be full of water, turn to crap that is difficult to pick up to move.
Yeah, I'm covering it.

Looks real good. I hate covering them here with the heavy frozen snow. I single file stack them end to end, net wrapped, pushed together. What little bit gets "soiled", the cattle eat.
But, you sure set it up right to stack them.

It has to work better than one of my hay sheds.

View attachment 4672
Looks like your high tensile wire survived. About 30+ years ago a guy in your neck of the woods milked cows that I visited his farm. His name was Jack Free and he had a son Gary if I remember correctly. He passed away a few years ago as I went to his funeral, a real good guy, he and his wife. I remember he lived in Bulls Gap. The picture reminded of what his placed looked similar.

On the roofing/barn repair hopefully you can find somebody. I have one barn I have mentioned to a couple guys that do that type of work and both are booked up with all the work they want currently.

Last edited:
Looks like your high tensile wire survived. About 30+ years ago a guy in your neck of the woods milked cows that I visited his farm. His name was Jack Free and he had a son Gary if I remember correctly. He passed away a few years ago as I went to his funeral, a real good guy, he and his wife. I remember he lived in Bulls Gap. The picture reminded of what his placed looked similar.

On the roofing/barn repair hopefully you can find somebody. I have one barn I have mentioned to a couple guys that do that type of work and both are booked up with all the work they want currently.
It seems like I know the name Gary Free, but I can't place him.

I doubt that this is his barn since this farm has been in our family for 150 years. This is the same barn I used to feed silage from as a boy. You can see the old silo behind the remaining hay from last year. My Dad blocked this part of it off to store hay about 40 years ago. Thus the patchwork wire and cattle panel on the side. I have no idea why he put the high tensile up there, it really serves no purpose unless he originally had a wire hanging from it too. I will wait until Tuesday to see what Farm Bureau says about the damage. I have one guy, but maybe they will have a name too. Luckily, other than a couple of pieces of tin on a couple of equipment sheds there was no more damage. The big barn and the other barn were not damaged.

The bad thing is that my hay will be going down in the next 2 weeks and I now only have one barn to put it in. I guess the first cutting will be stored outside like Bigfoot's.

It seems like I know the name Gary Free, but I can't place him.

I doubt that this is his barn since this farm has been in our family for 150 years. This is the same barn I used to feed silage from as a boy. You can see the old silo behind the remaining hay from last year. My Dad blocked this part of it off to store hay about 40 years ago. Thus the patchwork wire and cattle panel on the side. I have no idea why he put the high tensile up there, it really serves no purpose unless he originally had a wire hanging from it too. I will wait until Tuesday to see what Farm Bureau says about the damage. I have one guy, but maybe they will have a name too. Luckily, other than a couple of pieces of tin on a couple of equipment sheds there was no more damage. The big barn and the other barn were not damaged.

The bad thing is that my hay will be going down in the next 2 weeks and I now only have one barn to put it in. I guess the first cutting will be stored outside like Bigfoot's.
Tennessee has a program, as you are probably more familiar than I, that will pay a big portion on a hay storage building. There are several around just across the line that have been built, as the wife's brother got a nice one build, and as tight as he is it must be a deal. I wish we had that program. If needed I maybe can find you some info as there is a website I just don't remember were it is at. With that picture in hand to show should get you some help ASAP.

I was wrong on Jack Free as he lived on Mountain Valley Rd., Whitesburg not Bulls Gap.

[h2][/h2]

Last edited:
Tennessee has a program, as you are probably more familiar than I, that will pay a big portion on a hay storage building. There are several around just across the line that have been built, as the wife's brother got a nice one build, and as tight as he is it must be a deal. I wish we had that program. If needed I maybe can find you some info as there is a website I just don't remember were it is at. With that picture in hand to show should get you some help ASAP.

I was wrong on Jack Free as he lived on Mountain Valley Rd., Whitesburg not Bulls Gap.

[h2][/h2]
LOL, Mountain Valley Rd (part of it), is only a mile from me.
I am very familiar with the TAEP program. But, you have to build within a limited time frame and then submit within a limited time frame. I am leaning toward working facilities to apply. I have the BQA certification.

I have Insurance and trust me they can afford to pay the claim. ;)

Sorry Bigfoot, I did not mean to hijack your thread. I was just upset that I lost a roof this weekend.
How many rolls are you putting under the tarp? Here, most don't stack them, they just line them up with lots of space in between.

Sorry Bigfoot, I did not mean to hijack your thread. I was just upset that I lost a roof this weekend.
How many rolls are you putting under the tarp? Here, most don't stack them, they just line them up with lots of space in between.
I disagree with a space in between. More area to be exposed to the weather.

You didn't hijack it. Conversation is what we're here for. Shooting for about 350. I'll set the second cutting out and feed it first.

If I had a gravel pad like that. I wouldn't mess with the tires or the pallets.. Life's to short for that.
If I didn't have 3 teenagers, I'd abandon that quick. Too much off and on the tractor. The tires roll, so it's not as bad as it seems. The girls have them down, before me and my son come back with a load. Probably drag em to the side as we feed, and slide em back in the spring as we stack again.

I stacked rounds on tires ONE year.
Guess where all the copperheads hibernated when cold weather came? Guess where they liked to curl up during the day in warm weather?
I went back to pallets after that.

Latest posts