Stabilizer Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A balancer is part Gelbvieh and part angus. A stabalizer is 1/4 Red Angus, 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Ge;bvieh and 1/4 Simmenthal.
Balancers are supported by the Gelbvieh association, stabalizers were dreamed up by the leachmans

At least they don;t have Jersey thrown in like some of there "composits" do/did

dun":3jdemp7y said:
A balancer is part Gelbvieh and part angus. A stabalizer is 1/4 Red Angus, 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Ge;bvieh and 1/4 Simmenthal.
Balancers are supported by the Gelbvieh association, stabalizers were dreamed up by the leachmans

The original composition was 1/4 RA, Hereford, Gelb, and Simmi but now it has several breeds involved. But the main three are Angus, Simmi, and Gelb.

KNERSIE":3eifcmwn said:
How stabile can they be?

Lee (Leachman) is an extremly capable Manager and Geneticist! He has been working for many years working on Beef Genetics and cross breeding methods. His operation is here near Ft. Collins and he has been having annual sales of his cattle and Genetics for almost 10 years here. He utilizes all the Genetic information available both from his own extensive experience and the auspices of Colorado State University here, and the DNA-Marker technology that Pfizer has developed. His resulting cattle are remarkable examples of very scientific and practical knowledge of beef cattle management protocols.

If you are interested in the work that he is doing, and the very specific breeding regimen that he incorporates you can contact him through [email protected]

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3l4u7z8m said:
KNERSIE":3l4u7z8m said:
How stabile can they be?

Lee (Leachman) is an extremly capable Manager and Geneticist! He has been working for many years working on Beef Genetics and cross breeding methods. His operation is here near Ft. Collins and he has been having annual sales of his cattle and Genetics for almost 10 years here. He utilizes all the Genetic information available both from his own extensive experience and the auspices of Colorado State University here, and the DNA-Marker technology that Pfizer has developed. His resulting cattle are remarkable examples of very scientific and practical knowledge of beef cattle management protocols.

If you are interested in the work that he is doing, and the very specific breeding regimen that he incorporates you can contact him through [email protected]

DOC HARRIS

Thank you for his resume, but are you claiming the use of a so called 4-way cross bull results in consistency?

AllForage":2r85jpph said:
DOC HARRIS":2r85jpph said:
KNERSIE":2r85jpph said:
How stabile can they be?

DOC HARRIS

Thank you for his resume, but are you claiming the use of a so called 4-way cross bull results in consistency?
-

For anyone to claim a controversial result such as "consistency" in a 4-way cross is inviting a long and almost impossible diatribe to debate or prove, or disprove. I am not going to insert myself in that discord under any circumstances, because I have no direct statistics or experience with that protocol. Lee Leachman certainly does have that experience, IN SPADES, and I strongly suggest that you contact him for the details, which he will supply ad infinitum if you are seriously seeking information, and not just spoiling for an argument. He can give you book, page, and paragraph of who, what, where, when, and WHY the use of a four breed composite retains 75% of the F1 heterosis, and that it is as simple as straight breeding. He states that "Composite seedstock make crossbreeding easy!"

I have contacted him with the information contained in this thread. Perhaps you can encourage and convince him to engage in an interesting discussion on CattleToday with his thoughts and reasons for his convictions regarding "4-Way Crossbreeding". I guarantee a lively exchange of ideas!

The ball is in your court now.

DOC HARRIS

Are you kidding Doc.........and ruin the chance for an argument based on ignorance and prejudice!

I doubt that there will be many takers.

I have been very confused by many terms used when talking beef cattle. One of which is consistency. Are we talking uniform color, rate of gain, etc. or is there something more? I see no problem with a composite bull being used if the calves are uniform size and color...and perhaps polled. I get the feeling that other things are blown out of proportion...is that just me? I don't have experience breeding cattle on a large scale so I'm no expert. But the composite bull seems to make sense, especially if you are breeding back to cows with some of the same breeds comprising them. i.e, Balancer bull on Angus cows. The main question I have about Stabilizers are why were the Hereford originally used, then bred out...and what is gained from having both Gelbvieh and Simmental in the mix as opposed to just having a SimAngus or Balancer?

Latest posts