stabilized rice bran?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I think I've mentioned it before but I work for a company that produces "wildlife products", like deer attractants, and many other things.

I have been offered a super sack (1 ton) of stabilized rice bran free o' charge. We found a few small black bugs in the top of the sack and as a company they won't take the chance of making product that may have bugs in it. I, on the other hand, am not so picky. Got a tote with about 300 gallons of molasses/soy mix last week as well. I know it seems like I should jump on the chance to get a ton of stabilized rice bran - any suggestions? I thought about calling some of the local feed suppliers and seeing if they could mix the rice bran with the molasses/soy for me.

open for ideas?

you could prolly mix the rice bran an molases cheaper than the feed mill.id put 50lbs of molases to 500lbs of rice bran.

I am not 100% sure what the "stabalized" refers to.

But I think it might mean that it was solvent processed- which means that most of the fat was removed.
If so it will keep real well-- if the fat has not been decreased it can go rancid if you try to store it long.

To give you an idea of what you have(and I wish I had)
Its around 12%protein; 12%(or lots more if not solvent processed)fat; 10%crude fiber; and 60% TDN

The fat levels will limits its use to around 10-15% of a total ration(unless you are feeding other high fat feeds).

Bugs are fine with me-- just increases the protein levels :)

Thanks for the comments,

I left word for a local feed mill - the owner should call me Monday. They make bulk feed for farmers - mostly for creep feeding. The guy behind the counter that took my name and number seemed to think that it would be no problem for them to mix it and bag (if I wanted) for me. I'm sure it'll come at some cost, but hey the rice bran and molasses/soy mix were free. I can see where I'll probably be getting more feed for my cattle.

As an example, we make a product at work that is a pellet (rice bran based) coated with molasses. The huge mixer that makes it needs cleaning about four times a year because the molasses/bran combo has a tendancy to build up on the sides of the mixer. Last time they cleaned it, I got about 500 pounds of free feed. The cows loved it. I may start stockpiling some of these freebies - they could come in real handy in the winter when the hay runs out. I don't really need to feed anything supplement wise to my cows this time of the year- but in the winter (or if I fed out some steers) these freebies would probably come in handy.

Howdyjabo":wlq2205t said:
I am not 100% sure what the "stabalized" refers to.

But I think it might mean that it was solvent processed- which means that most of the fat was removed.
If so it will keep real well-- if the fat has not been decreased it can go rancid if you try to store it long.

To give you an idea of what you have(and I wish I had)
Its around 12%protein; 12%(or lots more if not solvent processed)fat; 10%crude fiber; and 60% TDN

The fat levels will limits its use to around 10-15% of a total ration(unless you are feeding other high fat feeds).

Bugs are fine with me-- just increases the protein levels :)

On the contrary....the stabilization process is a heat treatment the prouduct goes thru to destroy the enzyme which might make it become rancid. Stabilized rice bran can run as high as 25% fat and the primary ingredient in many top dresses for horses and show cattle. Very good product but don't overfeed due to the high fat content.

Latest posts