Squirts

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear

Reaction score

Hi folks. I have roughly a 900 lb steer that would not eat this evening. He has the squirts pretty bad. He has had loose stool for a while but now he's not eating. Looks pretty lethargic and will come to the feed bunk but just stands there. Any idea what could be causing this?

He's getting free choice hay and 14% cp feed with molasses and trace mineral about 12 lbs twice a day. The other 3 in with him are doing fine

He's probably been nibblin on that green stuff to much. Cut his feed back to 12 pounds total per day, and see if that straightens him out.

Take a temp and see if he is about normal. If you can separate him, I would cut all sweet feet/molasses, and just give him hay for a couple of days. If he firms up, then it is the sweet feed; probably combined with trying to eat any green he can find like sim.-ang.king said. Then I would start giving him feed again, but less than he was getting.
His gut tract could be out of balance, maybe too acidic. That can cause a lethargic attitude as well as loose/watery manure.
If he is running a temp, then you have to pursue other avenues.....

You will have to take him off the feed anyway as I suspect you already know. If they were getting 24 lbs per day and he's quit eating, if he ever starts feeling better he's going to go get into that feed and make himself sick all over again. In the meantime, I assume the other two are splitting his share?

angus9259":3nao6gq6 said:
You will have to take him off the feed anyway as I suspect you already know. If they were getting 24 lbs per day and he's quit eating, if he ever starts feeling better he's going to go get into that feed and make himself sick all over again. In the meantime, I assume the other two are splitting his share?
Yes the feed bunk is clean in the morning and evening so the other 3 are eating his share. I may pen him in and give him only hay for a day or 2 and see if he firms up. I can get a stool sample to my vet also. My new chute hasn't arrived yet and I really don't have a good way to restrain to get temp. Without getting the sh!t beat out of me anyways.

So, again, I don't want to assume anything but when you put them on feed you ramped them up to 24 lbs per day correct? And when you say 12 lbs twice a day do you mean per head or total for the 4? How long have you had these steers?

I have had them since mid august. They are getting about 45 lbs for the 4 of them twice a day. They have been on feed since I got them. Worked them 3 weeks ago. Average weight of the 4 is 1000 lbs each. Thank you everyone for your comments. It is truly appreciated!

Quick update. I separated them and penned them in with 3 square bales of my best 3rd cutting yesterday (I realized I had another steer in the same condition). All 3 bales are gone and they aren't spraying out the back. I want to put them back out with the others tonight. We will see what happens

BigBear":297xd14z said:
Quick update. I separated them and penned them in with 3 square bales of my best 3rd cutting yesterday (I realized I had another steer in the same condition). All 3 bales are gone and they aren't spraying out the back. I want to put them back out with the others tonight. We will see what happens
Gota have that long stem roughage whether it's grazing or hay.

Thanks TB. I always have hay available but the grass awful green these days and they are primarily grazing pasture. I believe that is the culprit

BigBear":f3yk3ik6 said:
Thanks TB. I always have hay available but the grass awful green these days and they are primarily grazing pasture. I believe that is the culprit
Very likely. It's probably 75% water. Hardly slows down on the way through. :lol2:

BigBear":1epi4wwl said:

That'll get them the squirts but I still find it odd that he wasn't eating. Or was he just not eating grain but was still grazing well?

angus9259":1in5zlsw said:
BigBear":1in5zlsw said:

That'll get them the squirts but I still find it odd that he wasn't eating. Or was he just not eating grain but was still grazing well?
Depending on amt of grain intake he could have had a bit of acidosis.

TexasBred":1jrdqfeh said:
angus9259":1jrdqfeh said:
BigBear":1jrdqfeh said:

We have been adding some bicarbonated soda to the feed and I think we have under control. My dad is a trucker and hauls bicarb all the time. So he gets me quart size jars all the time. Nice perk!

BigBear":16gwalvm said:
TexasBred":16gwalvm said:
angus9259":16gwalvm said:

We have been adding some bicarbonated soda to the feed and I think we have under control. My dad is a trucker and hauls bicarb all the time. So he gets me quart size jars all the time. Nice perk!
Good deal. That should help especially if they're not eating as much roughage as they should. :nod:

That'll get them the squirts but I still find it odd that he wasn't eating. Or was he just not eating grain but was still grazing well?[/quote]

Yes he was still grazing just not eating feed. They are all good to go now. Thanks!

Latest posts