Squeeze or Headgate?

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience working cattle so before I make a mistake I'll ask the experienced ones. My question is which would most of you prefer, a headgate or a squeeze chute? What are the pros and cons of each and what can you do with each? I know squeeze chutes are quite a bit more expensive but thats not a problem.

This is kind of like asking about a tractor with or without power steering or with or without a front end loader. You can get by with just a headgate and alley, but you can do more with a squeeze chute and alley. Both make handling cattle easier and safer but if you are in for the long haul try to go with a squeeze chute. This is a larger investment so you may be able to rent one or maybe several over a couple of years to see which brand you like better. What I like you may or may not care for! It is kind of like Fords, Chevs or Toyotas.

Never seen a squeeze without a headgate but I've plenty of headgates with squeezes. When we restarted the last time we started with just a headgate and an alley. It was acceptable for 99.9% of what we needed. Later we added a squeeze, sold the new headgate and installed the old one since it was autocatch. Much handier, but with a dozen calm cows and no foot problems just a headgate and alley will work fine. Just not as fine as the squeeze chute will.

I used just a head catch for more than 30 years and just went to a squeeze/catch a few years back. The squeeze is much faster and will auto catch. My old head catch was manual. Like others have said, there are many more ways you can use a squeeze. Guess it just depends on the $$$. You can get by quite easily with just a head catch but make sure it is an auto catch. With auto catch you can basically work them by yourself if needed. Can't tell you how many escaped my manual catch and I had to re-run.

I have a chute with a headgate no squeeze, we get by with it , but I wish it had a squeeze. We got what we could afford at the time.

A squeeze chute permits easier access to the animal being worked by dropping bars and panels while being immobile. I'd go with a squeeze.

We have a squeeze chute along with the head catch. Really like especially when we need to brand a bull or work on a cow.

I built a new working facility last winter. The welders I had said they could built allies and chutes as good as a squeeze chute. Wrong; have as much in theirs as i would have had in a powder river. It is like using a shovel with a 2 inch pipe for a handle. (Another bit of education payed for) MY advise buy the best you can't duplicate.

Have a WW brand the largest they make for about 10 years now and would hate to go without. It has been the best investment for the ease and convience of working cows. ;-)

Squeeze chutes are great. You can sometimes find a deal on used ones if you ask around and keep your eyes open. Though a used one might look rough, they are nearly indestructible and with minimal effort you can make an old one look shiny and new. Also, many brands are portable and since you don't use them everyday chutes are a good piece of equipment that you can co-own with someone else if you ever do that type stuff.

Jogeephus":2k9ljccc said:
Though a used one might look rough, they are nearly indestructible and with minimal effort you can make an old one look shiny and new.

Years ago I got a real good deal on a WW that was brand new but had been dropped off the truck onto the left bottom corner. After I fought it for a copule of years, I spent one winter cutting it apart and putting it back togehter. The drop had been just enough to tweak the whole frame.

I prefer just the headgate for routine working. Get one with a bad foot or something of that nature, squeeze sure is nice. Versus the old way of tieing up one foot while you have there head is in the gate.

hillrancher":32ibe3eh said:
I built a new working facility last winter. The welders I had said they could built allies and chutes as good as a squeeze chute. Wrong; have as much in theirs as i would have had in a powder river. It is like using a shovel with a 2 inch pipe for a handle. (Another bit of education payed for) MY advise buy the best you can't duplicate.

I beg to differ. Built all of mine. It is portable and can be loaded on a flat bed in about 30 minutes complete with chute, cut gates, head gate, loading chute, and pens. The only thing store bought is the head gate. I have had several folks try to buy it off of me. One vet said is was much better than his PR except that it doesn't have the hydraulic rolling table.

Price the PR then price steel.

backhoeboogie":1hsw36u2 said:
hillrancher":1hsw36u2 said:

I beg to differ. Built all of mine. It is portable and can be loaded on a flat bed in about 30 minutes complete with chute, cut gates, head gate, loading chute, and pens. The only thing store bought is the head gate. I have had several folks try to buy it off of me. One vet said is was much better than his PR except that it doesn't have the hydraulic rolling table.

Price the PR then price steel.

I agree you can make a heck of a chute system, I have mine where you can put 3 cows in the chute and isolate with gates or cut any one of the three back into the holding pen. The first one has a head gate with a
split locking gate about 3 foot high so you can palpate or pull a calf safely while retaining the cow.

Fellows you have forgotten your labor and equipment you have to have to do this kind of work. I don't have enought time for everything. That is why I hired mine done and got a bad job.

dun":yizf9td5 said:
Jogeephus":yizf9td5 said:
Though a used one might look rough, they are nearly indestructible and with minimal effort you can make an old one look shiny and new.

Years ago I got a real good deal on a WW that was brand new but had been dropped off the truck onto the left bottom corner. After I fought it for a copule of years, I spent one winter cutting it apart and putting it back togehter. The drop had been just enough to tweak the whole frame.

Dun you must have some buzzard-like scavenger instincts in you as do I. :lol2: This trait can save you some major bucks when buying equipment. After all, everyone is using used equipment if you think about it. Finding and recognizing deals like that can make a big difference to your bottom line. Some folks just can't see past the rust. I heard a cow professor say that over 75% of all cattleman were over 65 years of age and that the majority of their heirs liquidated the herds within two months of the parents death. That indicates to me that there are a lot of squeeze chutes sitting in the weeds waiting for someone to give the heirs the cash they so desire. Presently I'm eye-balling a Priefert that is in six feet of weeds and been idle for 3 years. Pretty sure I can pick it up for a song but I got to be patient. So don't go shooting any buzzards on any fence posts - that might just be me. ;-) :lol2:

Jogeephus":62vuh1il said:
dun":62vuh1il said:
Jogeephus":62vuh1il said:

Dun you must have some buzzard-like scavenger instincts in you as do I. :lol2: This trait can save you some major bucks when buying equipment. After all, everyone is using used equipment if you think about it. Finding and recognizing deals like that can make a big difference to your bottom line. Some folks just can't see past the rust. I heard a cow professor say that over 75% of all cattleman were over 65 years of age and that the majority of their heirs liquidated the herds within two months of the parents death. That indicates to me that there are a lot of squeeze chutes sitting in the weeds waiting for someone to give the heirs the cash they so desire. Presently I'm eye-balling a Priefert that is in six feet of weeds and been idle for 3 years. Pretty sure I can pick it up for a song but I got to be patient. So don't go shooting any buzzards on any fence posts - that might just be me. ;-) :lol2:

I have a priefert headgate sitting in the tall weeds down by the barn, never been used. I find it every once in a while when I turn the cows into that area to trim the grass and I see this blue thing sticking up. One of these days I'll figure out something to do with it.

Latest posts