Squeeze Chutes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am in need of a portable squeeze chute. I am hoping that I can find a used one, but I have a feeling that the chances will be slim to none. If I can't locate one, what is the best chute for the money?

We really like our W W squeeze chute, in fact I just picked up a second one for $1300 used and about 5 years old. They are very sturdy, well made beasts. You can purchase a new W W chute trailer for about $600 to make it portable. :cboy:

Chuckie":1mi0yawy said:
I am in need of a portable squeeze chute. I am hoping that I can find a used one, but I have a feeling that the chances will be slim to none. If I can't locate one, what is the best chute for the money?

I have used a Pearson. They are stronger than most and will squeeze down to about 6 inches without adjusting anything. They are large enough to work most bulls. Plan to spend about $3,000 for one new. If you should see one at auction, buy it.

We have a pearson too and it works real good. We also have a trailer for ours so we can move it from place to place fairlt easily.

I can't remember ever seeing a chute for sale anywhere or at an auction. I guess if someone had one they wanted to sale, they already had promised to a friend if they did. Then, maybe at the time, I wasn't really looking for one, since it has been so long since I have attended one. I am going to keep looking for a while, and maybe a used one will pop up. But if it doesn't, looks like I'll have to take the plunge.(buy the new one!) I appreciate everyone's input.

Chuckie,

This is WWWAAAAYYYY off subjuct but you name is freaking me out. Everytime I see one of your post I think of that wicked little Chuckie doll from the childs play movies. Gives me the creeps everytime! :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry: :cry: :oops: :cry:

Showmom- What did you think us guys did between movie and cartoon gigs? :shock: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;-) :cboy:
Chuckie the cattleman??
When is the movie coming out?
Back to the subject of Chutes , I saw one get sold at a auction , it got sold quickly to one person for about 1300 , there was still another guy that was bidding on it , he was pretty upset , I think it was a inside deal :shock: :roll: :roll:

I really liked the Chuckie doll. He seemed to always get his way. He-he!! Well, the reason I picked Chuckie is because my name was already picked. Then I tried to find a name that I was familiar with. It was taken. I have a bird named Chuck. I entered his name, but Chuck (here)already had it. Then I call him Chuckie a lot and it said it wasn't taken. I have a dog named "Porky," so that was out of the question. I tried several others, but they were already being used. So.......

MULDOON":3om1jcfw said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;-) :cboy:
Chuckie the cattleman??
When is the movie coming out?
Back to the subject of Chutes , I saw one get sold at a auction , it got sold quickly to one person for about 1300 , there was still another guy that was bidding on it , he was pretty upset , I think it was a inside deal :shock: :roll: :roll:

I've seen a number of them at various sales. Most hadn't been used in so long that they were pretty well rusted and rotten. The few that I saw in good shape sold for within a hundred bucks or so of what a new one would have sold for. They still would take a bunch of lubricant, paint, and general tweaking to get them right. If you spring for a new chute although it's gonna cost more dollars, the dealer/manufacturerr will stand behind the product if there is a problem.
I prefer Priefert to any of the others. But that's a personal thing after having fought a lot of different types and had my head/shins knocked by something that the manufactuere thought wa a wonder idea.

dun

I have to giggle at this thread......we have a used squeeze chute that's been advertised in the paper for the past 2 months, and I can't give the thing away. Its rusty, but still in working shape, and I KNOW the price is right on it, so I don't get it. Maybe it isn't selling because it isn't portable? I didn't know you could get a trailer for it to make it portable. Even with the cost of a new trailer, this thing would still be less than half of what a new one would run. I just don't get it........

If I was looking for a good chute and didn't want to spend a lot of money. I would go with a Priefert. Most think that that it's to high but I know the rep and compared to anything else I would not have it. The "Rancher" is a great chute and have one on my place. I had to get a good chute for not a lot of money and they last. my grandad has had a head catch from the late 70's and it still works.

I checked with Rural King and they wanted around $2500 for their Priefert chute only. I am not sure if the person there knew that they made two different models. I would really like to have the chute, artificial insemination cage and the trailer. It seems that the trailer could be made. I am going to check it out a bit more. I suffer from sticker shock anytime I go to buy something that I am not familiar with. When they told me what the chute sold for at Rural King, I took a deep breath, then I started looking at the other chutes. :shock: I am now thinking that the Priefert will be closer to my pocket book. Some of the other models that were mentioned were really nice. Maybe Santa Claus will stop by this year.

I use a Strong Hold chute. And then stole the idea of the trailer from Big Valley, Used little VW wheels and tires for it. Works great for moving around from one paddok to the other.

Not sure about prices but look at the "Rancher" economy model. Their expensiver chute is one of them that has a shin knocker. We have a auto catch head gate and palp cage on ours. I wouldn't have any of the others that I've worked with. The Rancher probably won;'t work with large Continental breeds. Seems that it's a little narrower then the expensive model. Anyway it was when we bought ourrs.

dun

Here's an exerpt from their website. Apparently I wasn't the only one that had problems with the shin knockers.

Most dramatically, we eliminated the foot levers for both side squeeze and side exit controls. Both of these functions are now controlled with overhead levers and are engineered for maximum leverage.Most dramatically, we eliminated the foot levers for both side squeeze and side exit controls. Both of these functions are now controlled with overhead levers and are engineered for maximum leverage.

dun

Dun, I know the rep and that was his biggest compalaint. They did away with them on the "S04". The rancher is a little smaller but I have brangus bulls and it still works fine with them. I have a palp cage and sweep. It was well worth the money the first time we worked cattle through it.

twp":112v3e2u said:
Dun, I know the rep and that was his biggest compalaint. They did away with them on the "S04". The rancher is a little smaller but I have brangus bulls and it still works fine with them. I have a palp cage and sweep. It was well worth the money the first time we worked cattle through it.

I gotta agree with you on the "worth the money" part. When they first came out with the Rancher model it was about 3 inches narrower then it is now, they discovered the problem and revised it quickly. We had one when it first came out and I had a cow that just couldn't get into it. Priefert brought me out a new one, pulled the old one and installed the new one. No charge. That's a compnay I enjoy doing business with.
I don't care for the older style sweep but that's what we have. The first time you work cattle through it the tend to ball up at the hinge end of the gate. The newer one (more bucks) doesn't have that problem.
We've gotten around it by running the calves through the sweep and chute twice a day to reach their grain ration, then let them out through another gate. We started doing that a couple of years ago and it's made it so much easier bringing the heifers in to breed. When we open up the alleyway they almost run through the sweep into the chute.

dun

Latest posts