squeeze chutes?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a squeeze chute I'm looking at Powder River, W-W, and Priefert as they are available nearby any cattlemen and cattlewomen got any opinions on these brands?

We just got a Priefert SO4 last month. We have worked our cows one time in it since we got it and we really like it. I looked at the others you mentioned also. One thing about the Powder River XL was all the head knocking levers sticking out. I like the option of using the Priefert gate auto or manual. Like the back gate better.

We have a Powder River XL Manual Chute. The following is my opinion, and I am no expert, but pretend to be at times. :D The man that sold us the chute, sells both Priefert and Powder River, and he handles a lot of cattle. He said that the XL Chute held up really well, and if he were buying one, that would definitely the chute he would purchase. The Value Chute in Powder River is too light. He told us that a man brought back a Priefert not long after he purchased it because a bull bent it up. But I am not sure which Priefert model he was talking about, it could have been a light weight model. We don't have any problems with the handles above since we are not basketball players. We went a couple of times to see the chutes and worked the levers. We are happy with ours. There are a lot of other people that have other brands that are happy with what they bought too. Just get a heavy constructed one so that you won't be disappointed. It cost more to buy a cheaper light weight model, have a bull tear it up, then go back and buy a heavier constructed one.

I have a powder river XL 2000 . We like it alot . I looked at every kind I could find when I bought it and we choose the Powder river because it was built a lot heavier that the priefert and WW . It squeezes from both sides and that was a plus. We knocked our heads a few times but I tied a piece of hay string from the handle and let in hang down about 2 foot so you can see the string from under your hat brim and we havent knocked our heads since. ( poors mans invention ).

Priefert, all the way. If the chute bent then you need to talk to the dealer. I know that Priefert will back up what they sell. I know I guy that his side door bent and they sent him a new chute for free. I have never heard of any one else doing that.

When we were looking for a set up we looked at all of the one's listed. We finally went with a Hi-Qual. Research showed that it was built by actual rancher. No head bumping. Auto head gate. Neck and front leg accesss area. Drop leg panels. Easy adjustment. The company is great about standing behind there product. We have had it for a year or so and still are very happy with it. It has a great tail gate and is very sturdy. It was actually competitively (sp) priced with Powder River. One of the things that stood out is the way the equipment moved. It is free flowing and no amount of manure will stop it up. We spent about 6 months going to dealers and trying out them all. We finally got the Hi-Qual. They have great panels and fencing. We purchased a tub, preg chute, alley, gate's and panels. They delivered it and set it up for us as well.
Just a thought. I have not heard anyone else mention this company. We haven't wanted to comment on it til we really used it and broke it in well.
Best of luck on the shopping!

Double R

Have to agree with your Hi-Qual. Have used them and like them.

One thing I noticed, is that no one here ever mentions Hi-Hog - yet another real good machine. We own one and relly like it.

The only machines I really have any time for are Hi Qual / Hi Hog and Morand.

Regional "itis"? or just that they are not marketed aggressively in areas of the U.S. ?

Bez

Ours is a WW. You can get killed by flying levers, the design is such that 90% of animals you catch by the head go down in the front. They get their toes jammed under the bottom of the head lock. Its actually a very horrible squeeze and I would take these other guys suggestions.

I jsut got a used one for $350. I think it is a Tilson out of Kansas and they have a manufacturing place in Burlesson TX. Real steal I think. All I had to do was replace the floor and oil the hinges. If I went new I would go preifert.

Scotty