squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

We have the S01 with the wheels and auto catch. When we bought it the S04 had a shin knocker sticking out at the left front so that knocked it off the list. I also like the sliding rear gate better then the scissors type. Just turns out my likes corresponded to the less expensive chute. The auto catch really worse slick when you're having to crank a tail to get the stupid beast to step forward far enough to catch it. I use it all the time anyway since my wife doesn;t have enough umph to handle the headgate. I'm usually working the back end and my arms are too short to work the headgate too.

dun":yc9y2j5w said:
We have the S01 with the wheels and auto catch. When we bought it the S04 had a shin knocker sticking out at the left front so that knocked it off the list. I also like the sliding rear gate better then the scissors type. Just turns out my likes corresponded to the less expensive chute. The auto catch really worse slick when you're having to crank a tail to get the stupid beast to step forward far enough to catch it. I use it all the time anyway since my wife doesn;t have enough umph to handle the headgate. I'm usually working the back end and my arms are too short to work the headgate too.

Dun

How good is the neck access on the SO1? The front verticle bar on the SO4 has a dogleg in it that appears to give great neck access for vacs, etc while the SO4 has all straight bars. Also a man that has a SO4 said he preferred it to the SO1 because the control for the head gate and the rear gate could both be reached by one person at the same time. Said it made it easier for him to work cattle by himself. Why do you like the sliding gate? I went to a dealer who had both chutes side by side and spent several minutes working each and the split SO4 tailgate seemed to work easier for me. The sliding gate seemed to bind when fully opened and took more force to operate then the split gate. I'm sure some oil on the slide would make it easier at least until it collected dust.

Has anyone run any 150-200# calves thru a priefert chute? If yes, what was your experience with calves this small?

The better neck access and ease of operation of the rear gate are the 2 factors that have me leaning toward the more expensive one. I have reached the age where ease of use has significant value to me.

I really appreciate everyones input as I am trying to decide which one to buy.

Texas PaPaw":r7m219nn said:
dun":r7m219nn said:

Dun

How good is the neck access on the SO1? The front verticle bar on the SO4 has a dogleg in it that appears to give great neck access for vacs, etc while the SO4 has all straight bars. Also a man that has a SO4 said he preferred it to the SO1 because the control for the head gate and the rear gate could both be reached by one person at the same time. Said it made it easier for him to work cattle by himself. Why do you like the sliding gate? I went to a dealer who had both chutes side by side and spent several minutes working each and the split SO4 tailgate seemed to work easier for me. The sliding gate seemed to bind when fully opened and took more force to operate then the split gate. I'm sure some oil on the slide would make it easier at least until it collected dust.

Has anyone run any 150-200# calves thru a priefert chute? If yes, what was your experience with calves this small?

The better neck access and ease of operation of the rear gate are the 2 factors that have me leaning toward the more expensive one. I have reached the age where ease of use has significant value to me.

I really appreciate everyones input as I am trying to decide which one to buy.
A little grease on the bar at the rear and it slides with no problem, haven;t ever had a problem with neck access on either side of the headgate. We work everything from a 2130 lb bull (that just barely fits, he doesn;t now that he's 2300 lbs) to week old calves. Catch them all with the headgate with no problem and no adjusting like some of the other chutes.
If the little calves start jumping and flopping around we'll clost the squeeze just enough to stop some of the lateral movement. The little guys, from a week old through weaning will get shots, cut, tattooed or whatever else is needed in the cute and caught with the headgate. If the need to be tubed that gets done in the alleyway unless they're too rambunctious, then that happens in the headgate too (only had to do that once).

I had the S01 and got a good deal on the S04 so i swaped the S04 is bigger and i started doing my own A.I work so it works better for me the back gate is great because when im working cattle a lot of the time im by myself i can move the calves down the alleyway when they go in the chute the handle is at the back just roll it and there caught then i open the front they stick there head through every time, caught i dont use it automatic on calves. Like was stated all the controls are right there in one spot so you can do everything from right there. I like the scissor head catch better than some of the others like WW because you dont have to adjust for different size. When your giving shots the neck stays right there with little movement with the WW they can go back and forth some without something else to hold them makes it harder to do it the BQA way at least for me. But with the scissor type i have choked a cow out when it took awhile to A.I but she got up in a few min. So the S04 just works much better for me.

TexasBred":a6tj4w44 said:
novatech":a6tj4w44 said:
bigbull338":a6tj4w44 said:
weve gotten by with out 1 for almost 40yrs.an im glad ive got it.will allow us to worm an tag the cows as needed.but im really hoping we dont need it for anything major.
I came up to the modern world a few years ago and put a squeeze at 2 different places. I find them the most least used piece of equipement I have ever owned. They are great for specific problems but for most regular treatment I can work 6 in an entry chute in the same time it takes to do 1 in a squeeze. Well that is me, with my cows and I don't expect it to be the same for everyone else. My Brahmans don't get that warm secure feeling that Temple Gradin shows in her movie. I hope yours works good for you.

Same here Nova.

Me too. Much prefer the medina gate for most things.

When you need the squeeze, you got it tho. Congratulations BB.

Portable pallet scales work for me on weighing. Don't do it that often.

backhoeboogie said:
Much prefer the medina gate for most things.

quote]
I was going to build a medina. One day while working the cows one refused to enter the chute from the crowding tub. She would always go behind the gate the wrong direction. I took a chain and wrapped it behind her. I already had one ( or something similar) just didn't realize it until you started posting about it some time ago. The tub gate now has a permanent chain.

The best comment for me was the one where the dealer had multiple units on display that actually worked. Around here they don't take the shipping ties off until someone is looking to buy. Kind of wonder how many tractors would sell if they didn't put the tires on them until somebody wanted to test drive one. And if they take the shipping straps off they pile posts, feed etc so close on 3 sides that nothing will work.
Phil In MS.

had an automatic head gate for years, but share the frustration of everyone on the misses because of horns. got a used southwest livestock one for $700 yesterday. everything appears to be in working order, made of 3/8" and 1/2" parts, scissors type front and back gates. feeling a bit of a spendthrift after all those years using only a head gate. anyone have any pointers for me to make maximum efficiency of its use?

Latest posts