Squeeze Chute ?

Help Support CattleToday:

You'll get as many answers as to the "best" chute as there are people with different brands. I like Preifert primarily because of the scissor action head gate instead of the acursed swing type.
Our alley is 19 inches, some of the girls really have to squeeze to get through it, but even the wide loads make it.

dun

I've got a Priefert squeeze chute as well and have the whole system and it's called the "Revolution" which includes the sweep tub, alley, squeeze chute and has the preg. test cage behind the chute for easy access to the cows rear. Whatever kind you get don't forget to have at least one stop between you and the chute or preg. test cage in case you are working multiple cows as ya' don't want to have to share the area your working in with another cow as it gets kinda crowded in there :D !

I work my cows alone and really like the way the system works and feel safe doing it as the older I get it seems the easier my bones break. Priefert last I heard only was making two squeeze chutes, one was a light duty model and the other a heavy duty one which I got and really like. Sure feel spoiled with the system. In front of my chute I made a "V" shaped loading area out of 4x4 posts driven down and then just rough cut lumber to make a kind of fence to back my trailer into for loading and on the side I'm working on I have a 4 foot gate that I can go through to get to the cows head if needed plus it makes for a good push gate to get a stubborn cow or calf onto a trailer. If I don't want a cow on the trailer the chute has a an "exit" by pulling a handle that will allow whatever I'm working back out to the holding area and then I just go on to the next cow that is in the alley.

The alley adjusts but I can't give you the exact measurments but I have yet to have a problem with even a small calf getting turned around. I have one stop in it which is adjustable and keeps the cattle from backing up plus it also has a sheeted stop or two in it to keep the cattle back if your seperating or just don't want a bunch heading in at once.

Was in a hurry today and modified this a bit tonight.

J

I like Preifert the best. We have a Top Hand that works well, but is a bit difficult for my wife to operate. Person is great for general handling but not real great for AI and such. I don't like to have them in the head gate when I AI and the Pearson has too much room for them to go back and forth. Be sure to have the chute level or at a bit of an incline to keep them from sucking air.

We purchased a Real Tuff portable system ( tub, squeeze, alley, cage,). Best designed system I have ever seen. Went to a sale and used stuff went for more than new.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1h374ysy said:
What do think about Filson Chutes and equipment?

I have a Filson chute. I really like it. Probly does not work as well as the new Preiferts but cost less. You learn to cope with what you have. I would stay away from powder river. My FIL has a head gate from them and it is preaty junky. We have had to modify several things to fit his herd.

Scotty

That Preifert headgate looks pretty snazzy. How does the autocatch work on it?

My autocatch headgate is the swinging type, and when working stock in the cold, its always freezing up on me. Scissors type don't seem to have that trouble, but I've never seen one that was automatic before.

DiamondSCattleCo":652b63dj said:
That Preifert headgate looks pretty snazzy. How does the autocatch work on it?

My autocatch headgate is the swinging type, and when working stock in the cold, its always freezing up on me. Scissors type don't seem to have that trouble, but I've never seen one that was automatic before.

The auto catch is sort of hard to explain. It's powered by a spring that want to keep it closed. There is a lever and plate that swings down from the top frontthat holds the headgate open. Whnethe cow bumps the headgate the plate swings out of the way and the gate closes. Or if the cow doesn;t bump it, you can tap the lever connected to the plate and it will close. You can also use it as a straight manual type gate.

dun

Thanks, I was wondering if it was spring loaded. Any chance of the swinging plate getting froze up or sticking? And the website said that the headgate was "easily adjustable in seconds". Aren't they like other scissors type headgates and are infinitely adjustable just by pulling down on the lever a little harder? Or is there an initial adjustment on the size of the hole for the autocatch, and thats what they're talking about?

Rod

All I'm going to say about the auto catch is it worked slicker than snot when I saw it used at a handeling demonstration by a Priefert sales rep. but I'm not real confident using it. It's supposed to close when the cows shoulders hit it but I just do it manually.

Even when all I had was the Priefert headgate with an auto catch on it I could not get it working "perfectly" and would miss a cow now and again.

I may just need a LOT more practice and messing with it but man do I hate losing a cow from the chute as they are a major pain to get back in for a while after they have gone through once. I just leave the headgate on the chute closed and then when the cow or calf goes in close the rear gate and then open up the headgate a bit till they stick their head through and then close it on them. It takes a bit more time but I don't miss any.

Dun, guess you are going to have to make it by :D !

J

FWIW- I'm sure your experiences will vary!

dun":14q8c30b said:
You'll get as many answers as to the "best" chute as there are people with different brands. I like Preifert primarily because of the scissor action head gate instead of the acursed swing type.
Our alley is 19 inches, some of the girls really have to squeeze to get through it, but even the wide loads make it.

dun

I've been through a few brands of shoulder auto catch. Pretty dissapointed with most brands, now have a Powder River. Excellent piece of equipment. Just wish I had a scissor catch instead of the shoulder catch.

DiamondSCattleCo":20euwmcv said:
Thanks, I was wondering if it was spring loaded. Any chance of the swinging plate getting froze up or sticking? And the website said that the headgate was "easily adjustable in seconds". Aren't they like other scissors type headgates and are infinitely adjustable just by pulling down on the lever a little harder? Or is there an initial adjustment on the size of the hole for the autocatch, and thats what they're talking about?

Rod

The only adjustment on the headgate is the auto catch doohickey. As long as the laws of gravity aren;t repealed it will work. The only time we've lost a cow wqas when someone wanted to catch them manually "because those auto catches never work". I freqeuntly work them by myself and the autocatch is great.
How it works is one of those deals that if you saw it you'ld understand but trying to describe it is kind of like the blind man describing an elephant.

dun

I bought my chute a year ago, used, for $500.00. Don't know the brand and neither did the man I bought it from. It's old, but serves it's purpose. My chute leading up to the squeeze is 26 inches wide. Never had a problem with cows getting turned around in it. Most calves won't get turned around either.

As an aside to this thread, if you can only afford one thing, make it a maternity pen (or maternity chute). Its not as handy for squeezing things up (but it can be done), but its MUCH nicer than a squeeze for pulling calves or getting a calf sucking. In some cases, its even nicer for treating animals as you can expose more of the animal for treatment.

Rod

wbrowning, the "who has the best price" question is a tough one as it depends on where you live. Town for me is about 15 miles away and only one place sold Priefert, they had put on the working demonstration I went to and had a "big sale". I was set to buy from them but first I called around and found a place about a 1.5 hour drive from me that had the same system I was going to buy for $500 less than the "great deal" I was going to get locally. I called the local place and asked them if they would match others prices and they did so I got what I think was a good deal.

I've had my system for about a year now but with steel prices what they are I'm sure the prices continue to climb. I bought a new brush-hog this year and when searching for one I was able to find an 04' model. Had I got the 05' model which was the same thing it would have cost me a lot more just due to the rise in steel prices.

J

Can't answer your question,"best for AIing and so-forth" but the Powder River Value-Chute @ $1500-$1600 is easy to use and IMHO very sturdy. We don't AI but do some So-Forth and that includes palpateing. 'course you got to have someone capable of holding the tail high to imobilize the recipient :)

Jay

wbrowning":3nr4dtyj said:
Who has the best price on priefert squeeze chute and other brands :?:

In Texas, I believe McCoys has just about taken over Priefert from the independent dealers. You might check the Priefert website. I think there is a dealer locator. Seems like TSC usually has best price on Powder River. Burly Corp. in Burleson Tx is a distributor for Filson chutes. They will sell direct but only at list price. My local feed dealer called them and got the wholesale price. I paid dealer wholesale + $50 and bought it thru him. He made 1 phone call and wrote 1 check and made $50. BTW, I was buying a calf table. Dealer saved me almost $200. Got a better calf table for less money than a Priefert or Powder River. Not familiar with Filson's squeeze chute, but their calf table is very well made. Might be an option worth looking into. I'm sure Filson has a web site.

Good luck & best regards

Brock

wbrowning":eey5p2j1 said:
Who has the best price on priefert squeeze chute and other brands :?:

If you can drive to Mt Pleasant, Texas; Priefert has a "seconds" yard right next to the plant. Seconds might be just scratched paint and there is no way you can beat the price!