Squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm working on building an adjustable width lane where the palp cage sides actually move with the lane walls. Doors will swing out, so narrower inside the palp cage won't be an issue for the doors. Yes, that will make the "palp cage" area pretty narrow when you have it adjusted down for calves, but it will eliminate the turning around when they hit it issue. It will also avoid the "get past the chute" concern when the squeeze chute is narrowed up. So the palp cage will actually be "separate" from the squeeze chute, and then I'll have my scale under the chute.

Last edited:
I prefer to have the doors on the palp cage hinge on the end of the cage furthest from the headgate, and they must be able to swing inwards and latch across the front of the alleyway or outwards.

The Priefert palp cage is designed to be bolted squarely onto the squeeze chute on both sides. Rookie "time saving" installation apparently. Maybe their "skid adjustment" destroyed the cage, rather than the cattle....
That's exactly what happened. This one looked (from what was left) like it was free standing and just had four pins to hold it to the chute.
I don't know, I just showed up at the scheduled time to help the vet process a new load of yearlings. The chute was chained to the alley, the palp cage was laying in the barn yard, and everyone was yelling about not even having 1 str through the new chute before something got broke.

SBMF. Yes the Priefert palp cages are held on by four pins. This is so it can be easily removed if you are transporting the chute or can be left on and hangs of the back of the carrier. It is really a pretty neat design.

I agree with Silver and that is the way the priefert cage works. It has door on each side which will swing and block the alley. I like what RDFF is thinking where the cage would narrow down but then you won't have the doors to block the chute when in the narrowed down position.

A problem I had on my setup was when I narrow down the chute for young calves they turn around in the cage and when they turn around there was a gap because of the different widths of the alley and the cage. Calves would then stick their head through this gap. I solved this problem with a piece of bent 14ga screwed to panel. So as the chute panel slides this bent plate slides with it and covers the gap.

SBMF. Yes the Priefert palp cages are held on by four pins. This is so it can be easily removed if you are transporting the chute or can be left on and hangs of the back of the carrier. It is really a pretty neat design.

I agree with Silver and that is the way the priefert cage works. It has door on each side which will swing and block the alley. I like what RDFF is thinking where the cage would narrow down but then you won't have the doors to block the chute when in the narrowed down position.

A problem I had on my setup was when I narrow down the chute for young calves they turn around in the cage and when they turn around there was a gap because of the different widths of the alley and the cage. Calves would then stick their head through this gap. I solved this problem with a piece of bent 14ga screwed to panel. So as the chute panel slides this bent plate slides with it and covers the gap.
I've seen them use rubber belting to plug that hole too. Still not as good as if there just ISN'T a hole there though. I'm going to put a sliding cut gate on the back end of the palp cage, so the swing door doesn't have to be able to go across to block the next animal. If you want the palp door to move in right along with the lane, to narrow up the hole going through the palp cage, having a separate cut-off gate is really the only way you can do it.

I prefer to have the doors on the palp cage hinge on the end of the cage furthest from the headgate, and they must be able to swing inwards and latch across the front of the alleyway or outwards.
Yup, that's how I've got it designed. Doors swing out though, because as you narrow up the alley, the palp cage door won't fit the various widths.

On the Arrow Q-Catch headgate, you have to manually apply a small amount of pressure down on the gate handle to "close it". There is no "gravity" assisting this operation, as it is purely a horizontal gate movement. As soon as you stop putting pressure on the handle to go on to your other tasks, it stays/locks where you've set it by way of a spring activated cam latch. Easy... but............. the headgate WON'T take up any more slack by itself beyond that, like if you catch an animal at their shoulders, and then they back up. If their neck at the shoulders is wide, compared to their head, they can "slip" backward out of the headcatch. You can take up that slack manually, if you stay there and keep pushing down on the lever (fairly easy to do from a physical exertion standpoint), but that means that you're not as able to move on to your next task.

The Priefert 91 DOES function "horizontally" too, but it does this at the same time as the doors are "lifted" some, which gives it some "gravity assist" in closing it, and it is THIS difference in design function, along with a spring if you have it set in automatic, that it uses to operate its "automatic" functionality. To close the Priefert and catch the animal, you basically just "LET GO/take pressure off of" the lever, or STOP holding the gate open, rather than "pushing it shut" (less man effort). The two headgates operate similarly then in that they both move the door "primarily horizontally", but the Priefert, because of this difference in design, WILL take up the slack in this situation automatically (avoiding the potential for an animal to"slip" out backward). As the animal backs up and the neck narrows, the headgate will automatically close and remain "fit to the animal", up to the width of the narrowing neck (without uncomfortably "squeezing" the neck... it just takes up the given slack) as much as the animal gives it. There's no need/incentive then to actually "squeeze" the headgate shut "uncomfortably tight", which means the animals are more comfortable and quiet. It'll do this every time it "gives" some, the entire time the animal is in the headgate, until you release it. They're similar in principle as to how they lock (a camlock, spring assisted on the Q-Catch, gravity on the Priefert)... with primarily a straight in, straight out door function on each side.... but with a difference in how they function in these respects. The Q-Catch does not have an automatic self catch function, from what I've seen.
Thanks for info, I see they work very similar, but that is a nice locking feature on the Priefert head catch. I still wouldn't trade my Arrow. Like I mentioned earlier, i don't miss anything and never have a problem except for the big old neck bulls..;)

They try to use a friction system like Preifert but it slips. Cows and especially bulls can open it. People having to stay on the handle to keep it from opening. From what I was told they called Arrow and they were told to keep it clean and that the friction system was only good for several hundred head then it needed to be replaced. Its basically a wear item. The guys said they were in shock. How do you keep it clean in the pasture? They told Arrows they may work 300-500 head in a shot and Arrow told them they should have bought a hydraulic chute that those were not made for that volume.
Thanks for info. I find it strange that Arrow told them that. I was told that all locking mechanisms had a lifetime warranty (Original Buyer) and when I purchased they asked me how many head of cows I would run through a year. But, I guess things can fail, but I've never had a cow or bull open up the head catch once closed down. I do spray all the rails etc with WD-40 once a year, but other than it's been a maintenance free chute.

Yes Arrow is lifetime warranty on the locking mechanism. A little WD40 and it should last you a lifetime. Haven't used it a ton but sure happy with mine and the vet loved it.

I can buy a new large model prefirt for the same price as a used powder river with palpitation cage. What y'all think?

I can buy a new large model prefirt for the same price as a used powder river with palpitation cage. What y'all think?
I would buy the powder river if it was in good shape. They seem like solid units from ones i have been around. My dad and i have a portable for-most together. And i have a non portable for'most. Been happy for the most part.

Latest posts