Squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone to get a Tarter chute. I understand budget is a big deal, but I'd buy anything other than a Tarter. First chute I ever owned when I first got into the cattle industry and what a pain. Hope you don't have any cows or bulls over approximately 1200lbs because they don't fit well in one. Hope you have a hard head because I almost knocked myself out a few times running into the squeeze handle in the down position. And good luck pulling that rear gate up behind the palp cage. To say I'm not a fan is a huge understatement. I've seen better home built wooden chutes with a head catch bolted to front that works better than a tarter chute.

I have a Tarter. Not the best by no means but it works. I have never ran my bull through it because he probably wouldn't fit but all my cows go through just fine. I payed 1500$ for mine new. If I ever buy another one I would spend alittle more and get the Priefert one.

Building on what Bird Dog and LDEnterprises, said, those cheaper end brands are not the greatest made products and I am sure that the chutes are the same. I used a Filson chute for 20 some years. It was still quite usable but we decided to upgrade with a For Most which I have had for several years now. Both of those chutes should last for a long time, so I look at it as a potential once or twice in a lifetime purchase. I am not sure the cheaper end brands would hold up that long.

Has anyone used the Behlen chutes? Local dealer carries Tarter and Behlen, and they did not recommend the Tarter. The use the Behlen for their own cattle with the auto catch head gate. Wanting a portable one to be able to move to different pastures. The County Line seems about the same as the Tarter to me.

At one store the tartar and prefert are the same price. At another the tarter is 40 percent cheaper. Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the better

Powder River makes what they refer to as a 1500 series chute. They are a slightly down grade chute but still a quality chute. Powder River has been making chutes since 1938. They know how to build a chute.

Tarter was my first brand new chute (replaced a 20yr + old powder river) and the thing looked really nice. Came time to use on the cows (1300lbs) did ok, did not like the self catching headgate however. Then it came time to run the bulls through. Let's just say it was never used for bulls again and we tore it out 12 months later and replaced it. Biggest piece of paper weight I've ever owned. Like others have stated above, spend the money for a good chute, so it safer on the cows and the people working them. You'll be happier in the long run!

We've bought WW manufacturing chute 25+ years ago. I highly recommend it; absolutely no issues and I can work it solo. we're looking to buy a new chute for use at a new piece of property and probably go with another WW.....wow, prices have gone up!

As previously stated,buy the best well made chute you can.

We've bought WW manufacturing chute 25+ years ago. I highly recommend it; absolutely no issues and I can work it solo. we're looking to buy a new chute for use at a new piece of property and probably go with another WW.....wow, prices have gone up!

As previously stated,buy the best well made chute you can.
Bought my first W&W in 1990. It has had thousands of head through it with no issues

Has anyone used the Behlen chutes? Local dealer carries Tarter and Behlen, and they did not recommend the Tarter. The use the Behlen for their own cattle with the auto catch head gate. Wanting a portable one to be able to move to different pastures. The County Line seems about the same as the Tarter to me.
Behlen makes quality equipment.

Behlen has a plant here in Baker City. You can see semi loads of gates, panels, water troughs, etc pulling out of there every day. I have yet to see a chute on one of the loads.

With all this talk of buying a squeeze chute, just buy a Silencer and you never need to buy another chute.

I know one thing about Behlen, their pasture gates are junk. I know they are thin metal but it isn't that, its the welds are horrible, the paint is horrible and the seams of the round tube are welded horribly. The seams are the biggest issue. They split and let in water which allows rust inside and its over after that. It has turned me against everything they build.

I know one thing about Behlen, their pasture gates are junk. I know they are thin metal but it isn't that, its the welds are horrible, the paint is horrible and the seams of the round tube are welded horribly. The seams are the biggest issue. They split and let in water which allows rust inside and its over after that. It has turned me against everything they build.
i would think that is similar to the Tartar stuff at the big box farm stores, those feed bunks and gates are cheap made crap. You are right the welds don't hold up.

I love my Arrow chute. It is definitely a difference maker to have a good chute when you need to work them. I have no personal experience with a Tarter but have used a Behlen. They are better than pinching them behind a gate but that's about as far as I would go. The rest of Tarters products are sub par so can't think the chutes would be different.

Latest posts