squeeze chute or head gate

Help Support CattleToday:

leisurlee

Reaction score
looking to buy a squeeze chute or head gate. Live in Cache OK. My operation is very small so I think the head gate will work.

thanks

First time you have to work on a foot, you'll wish for a chute so you can squeeze the cow and pull the bottom panels to get access.

Or have gates at the end of your alley right before the headgate. Fasten plywood to the gates to make them solid so the cattle won't balk at going forward and either cut out or leave room up front for access to the neck. If you need to do footwork just swing a side gate open.

I have worked cattle with and without a chute and while the chute is nice I don't think it is a neccessity. For a small herd it would be hard to justify the expense of a chute in my opinion.

I'm only talking about 5 head, it's a freinds and freezer venture.....so I don't think I can justify the squeeze chute cost. If anyone has a drawing, plans or pics please send of what I can build. I have 10 16ft lg cattle panels laying on the ground that I can build a run out of.

Yes that's what I'm going to do. Build a run to the chute out of cattle panels to the chute and go from there..

thanks
for all the response.

jkwilson":2ffhkecu said:
First time you have to work on a foot, you'll wish for a chute so you can squeeze the cow and pull the bottom panels to get access.

Tie the front foot up off the ground on the side you plan to work on....she can't balance to kick and if she tries she'll bust her A$$.

When we were first here there was only a head gate and a home made one at that.

We used to look at cattle crushes (Aussie for squeeze chutes) at clearance sales. It didn't seem to matter what condition they were in, or even if they were home made, the price would go through the roof. Then we have to add GST on top of that and then figure out how to get them home.

At a show we came across new cattle crushes that really were not that expensive. Plus with the price the GST and delivery were included. The crushes were new so in much better nick than those at the clearance sales and as I said much cheaper.

The one we bought is all manual. But with it I can do whatever I want, and I can do it by myself with no ones help.

I can introduce a calf to a cow safely by just opening the bottom. I can ear tag or dehorn or put powder in their eyes if they get blight. I can inject or quieten or tend to wounds. I can ear tag or put tail tags on and not have to worry about getting kicked.

Yes this property went for 100 years, being a dairy and then having beef cattle. I do not regret our decision to put in the cattle crush and would do it again on another property even if I only had one cow.

As I said you can get them fairly cheap. It means that they are mechanical and have no automatic bits but they are still invaluable.

We also put a roof on ours so that we are not in the sun when working with the cattle.

Latest posts