Squeeze Cattle Chute/Head Gate

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCKSPRINGS

Reaction score
Any one have/use a Tractor Supply Co. Cattle Squeeze Chute/Head Gate ? Any problems with them ? The price seems to be right, but you know, you get what you pay for...

Junk Junk Junk Rather use a lasso and pray as I go! Just my opinion though, bought one two head through it took it back bit the bullet and bought a priefert, not the best but, it works!

Herefordcross":23raa9v5 said:
Junk Junk Junk Rather use a lasso and pray as I go! Just my opinion though, bought one two head through it took it back bit the bullet and bought a priefert, not the best but, it works!

What is wrong with the Priefert? We have an SO4 and love it. Used a few other brands, Foremost would have been my second choice.

We used to have a hydraulic one, it finally died and we buried it. Couldn't even tell ya what brand it was. It'll just take a few years to get used to this one.

Was helping my brother use his new Priefert SO4. You gotta watch what you pull or the side door will open when you when you want to squeeze. :)

Cabo":2nqtobgv said:
Was helping my brother use his new Priefert SO4. You gotta watch what you pull or the side door will open when you when you want to squeeze. :)

Big difference between a rope and a lever, just got to get use to it.

I have used the Tractor supply brand, I believe they are made by tarter gate in KY. (dont know but thats what I have heard)

They get the job done, TS sells the cheapest line tarter makes.
But it gets it done well for the money. I wouldnt want to work 200 or 300 head a year with one, but for most farms with less than 40 head the TS headgate is good.

The chute and working pens (if you are not buying the whole system) are more important to ease of working cattle than the headgate anyways.

MD

redfornow":1lyhx2r7 said:
I have used the Tractor supply brand, I believe they are made by tarter gate in KY. (dont know but thats what I have heard)

They get the job done, TS sells the cheapest line tarter makes.
But it gets it done well for the money. I wouldnt want to work 200 or 300 head a year with one, but for most farms with less than 40 head the TS headgate is good.

The chute and working pens (if you are not buying the whole system) are more important to ease of working cattle than the headgate anyways.

MD

Must be talking about the American Farmland chute, most of the TSC's here carry the Powder River. Know of a few people who love the Powder River XL.

What color are the powder river headgates?
This one was green, I really didnt take that close a look was just there to work.
Like I said got the job done, but wasnt the best I have worked or the worst. I doubt this old boy got the XL anyhow. lol
Brother in laws got to love em.

MD

ROCKSPRINGS":1k66rjht said:
This is the one I am looking at. They want $1,993.86

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pc ... uctID=1566

This is not the Powder River XL which cost $2725.95

That is a Filson from the looks of it. Used my neighbors a couple times, not too bad. I don't like the back gate or the swinging saloon door type headgates on any of them.

Show $1519 when I type in my zip code, big difference.

tom4018":2az04nz1 said:
ROCKSPRINGS":2az04nz1 said:
This is the one I am looking at. They want $1,993.86

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pc ... uctID=1566

This is not the Powder River XL which cost $2725.95

That is a Filson from the looks of it. Used my neighbors a couple times, not too bad. I don't like the back gate or the swinging saloon door type headgates on any of them.

Show $1519 when I type in my zip code, big difference.

The price I quoted is with the head gate, I get $1519 also for the chute. Thanks

Did not know they would sell the chute without the headgate. Thought the headgate was listed separately for those who wanted a headgate only.

You might search for a Filson dealer in your area, I know when we were looking I could buy one thru a distributor a lot cheaper.

If you have horned cattle, find a different style of headgate.

Also, make sure when the chute is in the sqeezed position, that lever that's sticking up in the picture isn't right at head level (lot's are). Causes lots of bruising to the operator and profanity to come out the mouth.

That's one thing I like about the priefert - no long levers sticking out.

I have a Filson XL chute with the manual head gate and palp extension and it was only $2300.00 complete and it works fine for me. Me and my wife work it together, she operates the HG as I run them down the alley with my homemade sweep made from a 10' gate and HD panels.

I looked at the Powder River equip before I bought the Filson type, I think the Filson is made just as good and it will cost you about $1000.00 less.

Late reply, Sorry.

I bought a Powder River Squeeze Chute from TS after a lot of mis-direction from them. It was a TS issue, not Powder River.

This thing works great for me and is plenty tough for a full time operation. I've run several hundred head through mine and it has performed perfectly each and every time.

Mine is a manual head gate, right exit and does not include a pap cage on the entry end. I think it is an XL (extra long) and the cost was $2K+. I think P.R. makes a cheaper model but I felt like I needed one a little more heavy duty to handle 1800+ lb cattle.

I'm not putting any one else's product down. Just stating I've had really good luck with P.R. - not so with T.S.!

That is a Filson, like other have said. I've got a couple of things I personally don't like about them. First off, the ones I've seen at the sales don't seem to hold up well with age. Tend to be VERY rusty, very bent and hard to work. Maybe it's the place where they are coming from. The other thing I don't care for about them is no lower removable panel to work on feet. Maybe there's a work around, but I prefer something else.

I'd check into a Priefert S01, they can be bought for less than the price of the Filson from Tractor Supply.

Latest posts