Square watermelons?

Help Support CattleToday:

S&J

Reaction score
A round watermelon can take up a lot of room
in a refrigerator and the usually round fruit
often sits awkwardly on refrigerator shelves.
Smart Japanese Farmers have forced their watermelons to grow into a square shape by inserting the melons into square, tempered glass cases while the fruit is still growing on the vine.

watermelon2.jpg

watermelon3.jpg

watermelon1.jpg

That's interesting. I've read about it but never actually saw one. Thanks for posting the pictures. Heck of a lot more interesting than the cucumbers we would grow in coke bottles. ;-)

HEY JOE :!: I'm, ummm WE :nod: up NORT folks gonna need a photo of them cukes Y'ALL grow in a Coke bottle. 8)

I haven't done one since I was a kid but I got some cukes planted and I'll see what I can do. What's your favorit bottled drink? I'll see what I can do. Now I don't know if the brown glass beverages will work. ;-)

Joe, what do you do? I'm thinking, slip the bottle over the cuke when it is small, then let it grow inside the bottle? probably needs a clear bottle right? I really can visualize it growing inside.

mnmtranching":2q62qawg said:
Joe, what do you do? I'm thinking, slip the bottle over the cuke when it is small, then let it grow inside the bottle? probably needs a clear bottle right? I really can visualize it growing inside.

Just like you figured. Just stick a baby cuke into the throat of a coke bottle and let it grow. If you hunt some you can find some that will fit in the bottle better than others. Best to get them in there as far as possible to keep them from getting deformed.

Jogeephus":fpvxkmgc said:
mnmtranching":fpvxkmgc said:

Just like you figured. Just stick a baby cuke into the throat of a coke bottle and let it grow. If you hunt some you can find some that will fit in the bottle better than others. Best to get them in there as far as possible to keep them from getting deformed.

So how do you go about it when you want that particular cuke for supper. :help:

I guess you just bust the bottle. ;-) You know I was thinking about these watermelons. Seems they stole my cuke/bottle idea and used it on melons. Seems to me they should have to pay me some type technology fee for each melon they sell. I know the idea sounds insane but you never know someone may have already set precedence for this type insanity. ;-)

I seen one of those square melons. A local radio station was giving them out as prize about 2 or could be 3 years ago. They are pretty neat but the one I won couldn't fit in the fridge. It was a BIG MELON.

jfont":2cbhzhvd said:
Seen some mickey mouse shaped melons ( not sure what kind ) at disney world last summer. They used the same method, just a different shape.

That would take the cake :)

Latest posts