Square deal

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
My neighbor at my lometa place and me partner a fair amount. Hes well past eighty and was my grandfather's best friend. We partnered on hay this year.
Mostly to his land and equipment my fertilizer and labor.
We also partnered on oat pasture this fall. Both providing equipment, fertilizer,seed and work. I've got about 40 acre's in oats. Hes got close to 100
I fix a water gap, he carries my cows some hay. I fix a tractor tire he gives me a handmade knife. Etc.
We've become very good friends. Both of us being the type that don't care about having friends to much.
Really what it amounts to is he is a wealth of knowledge, equipment, and country. And I makeit where he can do what he loves but if gets in middle of something and his age catches up he can call me. :lol2:
I says something about it would sure be a good time to buy some sorry cows to turn out on the oats for the winter.
He says sounds good go buy em we'll split em. Ok um maybe you should come along..no I can't understand that auctioneer. ...how many you want to buy... however many you want to..

He says well run them in my big hayfield (about 100 acres of oats and 35 of coastal) you'll build a fence up there in the corner where we store the hay. ( 2 side's of 2 acres) well leave them in till March 7. Then sell or move them out on range. His place is of considerable size.
You buy em , work em, haul em.
I'll check em and put out hay. I roll of yours to one of mine. ( I've got a good bit of hay stored on his place.)
When we sell we split.

The first load is fixing to head that way.

So his land. Half his money and hay and time.
Half my hay and money and a little time and a little fence.
Fair enough??

Sure sounds like a win-win between 2 likeminded fellas. I can count on one finger a guy I trust well enough to do a deal like that with, but if he wanted to, I would sure be in to do it. Sounds like he is your man.

Sounds okay to me. From what you describe, it seems like the two of you get along well enough, talk things out, find ways to meet each other in the middle. It doesn't sound like either of you are always finding ways to beat the other out of anything. As long as the both of you are happy/satisfied with the deal, I'd say give it ago, under those circumstances.

I've always got along just fine with people that think like me. Sounds like it'll work out good for both of you. I was relieved to read your post and see that it wasn't about Red Brand wire. :mad:

Sounds alright to me.. He gets a little fence out of the deal, i'm sure you're well set up that it's no job at all to do.. and he does most of the day-to-day work of taking care of the cows.. rest of the monetary stuff seems split down the middle, a large portion of the feed coming from him.

Latest posts