SPRUCE Grove and BSE

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
Am I the only one who questions a possible link between the McDonald's hamburger processing plant, and several cases of BSE in Spruce Grove? Have they ever been suspect in being the source of contamination? Have they ever been audited or inspected to their waste disposal and water contamination? They bring in beef trim from all over the world.... Makes me go hmmmm. Did you know that one hamburger patty formed and flattened for our enjoyment make contain the DNA of up to 500 individual animals? Makes me question why they are so interested in trace-ability. or is it all a ruse?

Considering that bacteria and insects are animals as well, I probably have over 500 samples of individual animal dna on my fingertips on any given day as well.

As long as they aren't getting any brain or spinal column stuff I don;t see the connection. But when you have some possibly careless (shady) suppliers it could happen.

If the plant does burger for McDonalds then they will surely be processing older cattle so the odds of them having a higher incidence has nothing to do with their sanitation but the type animals they process for that market. What is the alternative? Make it illegal to butcher a cow older than three years? I think this would be devastating to the industry when there are so many things that we as producers can do to prevent BSE in animals.