Springing, but no bagging?

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Long story short, I bought 4 heifers from a neighbor for a real good price with the intention to finish them out. But, also knew that they were with the bull… so I took my chances. Didn't want to give Lute in case any were farther along. 1 of them is appearing bred. Big round belly. Been acting off the last few days. Last one to come to eat, hanging out in the distance etc. but, no bag yet at all, a little springing happening. In my experience, she seems to be progressing in the opposite way lol. Usually it's bagging, springing, and acting funny day or two before calving. I have been keeping a really close eye on her. Should I be concerned with springing happening and virtually no bagging?

I've had cows with absolutely flat empty bags until calf is born, then bloom, but never a heifer. But I'd say don't worry.
When I hear springing heifer, I think bagging and increased size of vulva appearing 'puffy' or relaxed, so I assume you're
saying vulva looks puffy as though she's close or ready to calve.

Yes she's showing a sloppy vulva. What caught my attention was her lagging to come to eat. Or when moving to a different pasture the other day she was off by herself kind of hanging out. She's just showing those typical signs of getting to calve - minus the udder development. She is a beef shorthorn angus cross. Definitely not overly fat at all, she's moderate. But I know she's young which concerns me. She's been getting good hay and a good loose mineral. I have had her since about October so she came to me bred.

Yes she's showing a sloppy vulva. What caught my attention was her lagging to come to eat. Or when moving to a different pasture the other day she was off by herself kind of hanging out. She's just showing those typical signs of getting to calve - minus the udder development. She is a beef shorthorn angus cross. Definitely not overly fat at all, she's moderate. But I know she's young which concerns me. She's been getting good hay and a good loose mineral. I have had her since about October so she came to me bred.
If she's got shorthorn in her I wouldn't worry about her milking. Every one I've ever own were good milkers , most too much for a newborn.

What do you think she weighs? If she's younger than you like you might want to contain her in close to keep an eye on her. (Maybe she's already in a place you can eye her?)

What do you think she weighs? If she's younger than you like you might want to contain her in close to keep an eye on her. (Maybe she's already in a place you can eye her?)
She is young so I am worried… I bought her with the chance that she was bred. She about 800lbs. Just weighed them about 2 weeks ago. I check on them morning and night but as the time comes closer I might confine her so I can see her easier.

Was that a Chinana or a Beef Master that she was bred to?
If one goes to calve she will probably go off by herself.

Latest posts