Spring turnout Yesterday!

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Enough grass to turn out most of the cattle to pasture yesterday. Some stockers in the lot.

Still real wet, with rain and a high in 40s tomorrow.

We got the cows out on Thursday as well. 70 stockers still in a 5 acre field next to the house with REAL good fences. They'd never seen an electric fence before last night, so they're getting a few days to settle in and get fence trained.

Dang. Don't know that I could stand y'all's kind of winters.
Turnout here was later than I'd have liked - around March 1st; No rain last fall meant no significant stockpiled forage.
Cows are finishing their fourth rotation around the paddocks.
Eldest son was home for the summer after finishing college last year, and cut all the larger pastures into 5-acre paddocks; 19 of 'em. First couple of passes through, cows spent one day per paddock, but as fast as the grass is growing now, it's taking 2-2.5 days to graze 'em down. If it stays as cool and wet as it has been, the cows won't be able to keep up with it - but I'm not buying in more!

Ours have been out for a month and half or so. This year with the weird weather (turned into the 80's for aweek) the grass didn;t grow very much then the heat hit and it all bolted and set seed. The heading out is running almost a month ahead of normal. We uauslly cut hay the end of May or the early part of June. This year we cut it the first week in may and it's already past it's best nutrient levels.

A heat wave is foretasted for next week with highs in the 60s!
So, plan to turn the rest of the stockers out next week.
We are on a no supplement plan so we need to make sure there is some energy in the grass.

Stocker Steve":1277kzu6 said:
A heat wave is foretasted for next week with highs in the 60s!
So, plan to turn the rest of the stockers out next week.
We are on a no supplement plan so we need to make sure there is some energy in the grass.
That's the kind of temps they're calling for this here too. That's after a bunch of high 40s lows 50s, which of course followed the week of mid to high 80s

bigbull338":26shsfuj said:
i feel for those of you that are still feeding hay into may.

We were getting real close to starting to feed hay again. Quit with the hay end of Feb. here. Then we only got .5" rain in March and none in April/May until we got 3.1" of rain over the weekend. This year we started to rotate pasture more intensively, I have been watching my neighbors feed hay for the last month. I do believe the semi-intensive rotation plan is the only reason we were able to keep off of the hay.

I know we were/are not as dry as a lot of you folks, but it is dry for us. Hope everyone gets the rain they want.

Latest posts