Spring/Summer Pasture Care

Help Support CattleToday:

pleasantpasturesbeef

Reaction score
I'm about to get my last load of hay delivered for my cows, and then they're on pasture...I sure am glad to see the grass turning from brown to green again!! đź‘Ť

I don't own my pasture...my brother has about 4 acres fenced off into 2 sections that can be separated. I think last year we would close off one side and let it grow, and then switch pastures. I don't feel like they produce that great of quality of grass tho. I had to brush hog the pasture twice last year, since the weeds got up too high. I'm guessing that mowing the grass helps it stay low and fresh? I only have 3 adult cows at a time usually. Since I'm a grass-fed operation, I'd like to know how I can invest in the pasture to get better quality grass into my beef. It grows grass, and whatever weeds also like to come up...🤪 Any tips, anyone??

I'll include a pic of what it looks like right now in Wester NY... I have one pasture closed off so that it can grow up.

Attachments

• BAD141C5-CFA9-45DA-8027-12414B9B43C9.jpeg
    BAD141C5-CFA9-45DA-8027-12414B9B43C9.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8877.jpeg
    IMG_8877.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8933.jpeg
    IMG_8933.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Unroll hay. Should help reseed and add fertility.

For a quicker fix spray with 24D when you have three days with low temps above 60. Since you're split in half spray ones half and wait the required time period, then move cows and do the other half. Always follow the label to make sure. That will help with weeds tremendously.

I'm about to get my last load of hay delivered for my cows, and then they're on pasture...I sure am glad to see the grass turning from brown to green again!! đź‘Ť

I don't own my pasture...my brother has about 4 acres fenced off into 2 sections that can be separated. I think last year we would close off one side and let it grow, and then switch pastures. I don't feel like they produce that great of quality of grass tho. I had to brush hog the pasture twice last year, since the weeds got up too high. I'm guessing that mowing the grass helps it stay low and fresh? I only have 3 adult cows at a time usually. Since I'm a grass-fed operation, I'd like to know how I can invest in the pasture to get better quality grass into my beef. It grows grass, and whatever weeds also like to come up...🤪 Any tips, anyone??

I'll include a pic of what it looks like right now in Wester NY... I have one pasture closed off so that it can grow up.

One of the best things I ever did was call an extention agent in to review my pastures. He suggested different seed depending on soil types, moisture, and how the land lay in relation to sun exposure. I'm a believer in no till seeding and pasture rotation and my places were carrying more cattle per acre than my neighbors and looked better. Nothing expensive, just thoughtful management.

Latest posts