Spring Snow goose hunting season

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
Can't hardly wait the canada geese are here already, the snows should be here in a couple of weeks just in time for the start of spring season it starts April 2. Time to start practicing shooting.

skcatlman

I never thought about it until your thread but i bet where you are at you can kill alot of snow geese ? And probably dont have a hard time of calling them in ?

In spring this year we are allowed 40 bird possession on snow geese. I have heard rumor of increasing posession this spring to 60 birds. actually it is a slaughter for a couple of weeks in spring as they haven't been shot at in a while and they sucker in easily. I used to use a electrionic call but have stopped and now use a mix of white rag decoys and blue phase as well immatures. I use a mouth call and it works with that decoy set just fine. The fastest time to take 40 birds was 15 min last spring . It is so much fun not having outfitters screwing up hunts for locals.

Please kill as many of em as you can. They are destroying our lands. Our conservation season is just about to end in Louisiana. Here there is NO limit and you can killem and call em any way you want. Unfortunately snows and blues are the wariest of geese and are extremely hard to kill this late in the season, for us at least. I guess flying thousands of miles makes em forget about crazy coona$$es with shotguns!

I believe we are in a different fly way HCM, But it suprizes me to hear how weary those snows are for you, i suggest changing things up like i have my sets and color phases and using a single mouth call and a couple of baloon decoys. I have hunted this way and in late season hit the birds with great sucess in the morning and evening of the same day on the same feild the again the next morning in that same feild. I think the birds in my flyway must not get the same pressure either that or they are all inbred and retarded as i would not decribe them as hard to kill the exact opposite. They come in wanting to die for me at least.
I know the kind of destruction they can do i have seen pictures of the over grazed tundra where they nest. Hopefully the dept. of Nat. resorces increases the limits.

Mar 23 - first flock of snow geese sighted they landed in the snowy feild and fed where cattle are swath grazing. It is forecast for +16 celcius tomorrow that should provide more feed for them we still have a foot to foot and a half of snow on the ground that should really go down this weekend. April 2nd first day of spring season. I am looking foward to getting some shooting in this weekend on the skeet and trap range.

Lining up for the first big snow hunt this spring i was out scouting this evening, about 70 to 100 thousand birds on 1 feild. They sat when i parked beside them some of those dumb beggars were even right on the road picking up some gravel i could have probably got my limit if i would have taken a gun. I guess they forgot about the last time they were shot at. I saw a small flock a while ago but today a big flock and i am thinking the birds have not been shot at for over a month. I am hoping to jog their memory on saturday. I'll report on how the shoot went.

Latest posts