Spring Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anyone here ever spread spring oats around where you feed, or have torn the ground up in the winter? Thoughts, alternatives? Smart-ass comments?

Thanks.

We drag out smooth and seed our wintering pasture every year. Usually the cows and calves start rotating to pastures mid May and that's when we work it. We'll broadcast seed oats, clover, and timothy. Finish with a cultipacker. By early July it's ready to be grazed.

Back on the coast I did every year on my winter sacrifice area. I would run a light disc over the area. Broadcast the oats and disc again. I used seed oats a couple of times but got just as good of a crop using plain whole oats for a third the cost.

I have always found no need to seed the winter feeding area, it gets enough seed from the bales fed on it. In the spring we drag them down with diamond harrows and always get our heaviest hay crop off it.

Been thinking about doing the same or similar.
Anyone here ever spread spring oats around where you feed, or have torn the ground up in the winter? Thoughts, alternatives? Smart-ass comments?

Thanks.

Also thought about going on ahead with some crabgrass seed. Skipping the cool season. Still enough time to get growth from a cool season?

Been thinking about doing the same or similar.

Also thought about going on ahead with some crabgrass seed. Skipping the cool season. Still enough time to get growth from a cool season?

I usually skip the cool season and go directly to the pigweed rotation....

Last year I planted Pearl Millet where I feed. I had feed the same spot for a couple years so there was some compaction. I used a chisel plow to bust it up then disk it. Spread the seed then ran the cultipacker over it. It done great. Plan on doing the same this year. 28DE377C-73FD-4480-AF26-9D50ACEA0C88.jpeg

Moisture and winter hay quality and feeding method are big variables. We usually have had frozen ground and low quality hay that does not feed well in rings - - so we end up with a lot of mulch. The only way to get a decent stand w/o waiting a year is to push mulch into composting berms.

I guess that would be the plus side to never freezing up. Wasted hay rots pretty quickly. I rarely use rings either, but do move location with each trip.

I'm unable to run much steel over our feeding ground. Its rocky rocky rocky.

What does well with broadcasting aside from ryegrass and crabgrass. All I can do is spin it on.

Latest posts