Spring oats

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogtiming

Reaction score
Considering planting spring oats the first of April in an existing but not a great stand of fescue to cut for hay in June. Has anyone tries this? I know way back oats was very popular here but they aren't used any more

Hogtiming":12ilgy9j said:
Considering planting spring oats the first of April in an existing but not a great stand of fescue to cut for hay in June. Has anyone tries this? I know way back oats was very popular here but they aren't used any more

I plant oats by themselves or sometimes with crimson clover but never with fescue as it tends to choke things out so I never tried as I don't want to waste my $

skyhightree1":3r0eiqkn said:
Hogtiming":3r0eiqkn said:

I plant oats by themselves or sometimes with crimson clover but never with fescue as it tends to choke things out so I never tried as I don't want to waste my $
+1. I've seen awful poor stands of fescue explode in the spring. You would be better off to spread 50# of N on it and let it go.

skyhightree1":23xna24w said:
Hogtiming":23xna24w said:

Ya know... just because you "plant oats" doesn't mean you have to plant 100 pounds to the acre.......pasture drill 25 - 35 pounds in and fertilize it. Doubt it will be enough to choke out the fescue. I did it to Bermuda a number of years back to enhance winter pastures.

1982vett":20xc6blc said:
skyhightree1":20xc6blc said:
Hogtiming":20xc6blc said:

Ya know... just because you "plant oats" doesn't mean you have to plant 100 pounds to the acre.......pasture drill 25 - 35 pounds in and fertilize it. Doubt it will be enough to choke out the fescue. I did it to Bermuda a number of years back to enhance winter pastures.

Hard to plant a cool season in a cool season. One will have the advantage on the other.

1982vett":2jfieh8u said:
skyhightree1":2jfieh8u said:
Hogtiming":2jfieh8u said:

1982vett I was referring to Fescue choking out the oats.. Fescue has a tendency to do that to things.

So you think drilling 75 pounds of oats per acre the fescue would choke it out?

Hogtiming":38m12qqf said:
So you think drilling 75 pounds of oats per acre the fescue would choke it out?

Personally would look at ways to improve the fescue as it will be around a lot longer than the oats will be. Its a lot easier to work with existing than fight it. What are you looking to achieve by adding oats to the fescue?

skyhightree1":12dk729l said:
1982vett":12dk729l said:
skyhightree1":12dk729l said:

1982vett I was referring to Fescue choking out the oats.. Fescue has a tendency to do that to things.
:D I'll take your word for it.

Latest posts