Spring Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Bushhog

Reaction score
I have seen articles indicating that we need to put out minerals before the new grass comes in. I think phosphorus is the essential chemical. Can we use mineral-enhanced salt blocks? Or do we need to do something else.

Bushhog,

Not sure what article you are referring to, but you really need to have minerals available free choice all year 'round. Most people use a loose mineral that can be bought in 50 lb sacks. Everyone seems to have their favorite, IMO pick whichever you want but pick one. You can always compare the labels to see exactly what components a brand of mineral has compared to others.

The blocks that you are referring to are trace minerals, or trace blocks, and aren't worth the money you pay for them. They do not have enough of the minerals that you need for your cattle to reach their potential.

You can raise cattle without minerals, I've seen it done. However, the resulting cattle will never reach their growth potential, likely be more sick, if they live well at all.

Your local feed store should have a couple of varities of loose minerals available. I pay about $14/bag for mine.

Bushhog":2uqo8st2 said:
I have seen articles indicating that we need to put out minerals before the new grass comes in. I think phosphorus is the essential chemical. Can we use mineral-enhanced salt blocks? Or do we need to do something else.

I use free choice loose minerals. Quit the blocks a long time ago. IMO you won't get what the animal needs with them. Always concerned about magnesium defficiency so I have a higher mag mineral in front of them until I start using the one with fly stop. I think the high mag min. is 12% mag & 4% phosphorus.

fitz

In the spring before grass greens you want a high magnesium mineral to prevent grass tetany. Just find one your cows like I tried Cargil Right Now, land o lakes, and my cows finally will eat Kent brand :roll:

I just bought the Cargill right now RWACJW did your cows not like it I can't tell if my cows are eating it or not where is the kent brand out of?

shutskytj":3gm7gmxb said:
I just bought the Cargill right now RWACJW did your cows not like it I can't tell if my cows are eating it or not where is the kent brand out of?
My cows would'nt eat it even mixed with grain they would leave most of it. I found Kent at a different elevator nearby I don't know where it's from.You just have to keep trying different kinds tell you find one they like. Iput the suggested amount out with there feed and now they lick it clean. sweetlix brand was going to be my next try.

I am putting it out free choice in a bucket right now I didn't see much of it gone

We always put out loose minerals and keep them out year around. We always used a mixture that we got at our local feed store and now they've gone out of business and we had to switch to another brand. We just got some mag supplement at the Co-Op on Saturday and put out but it doesn't appear that they're too keen on it. I think it's because they don't like the magnesium taste.

Latest posts