Spring Herford calves in Pa worth? I'm also "Googled&qu

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I have a guy that wants to sell me 5 spring calves. We're guessing the weight to be 5-6 cwt. What are they worth as feeders? I've looked all over and can't find anything. I'm in Pennsylvania and want to be fair to both parties.

Thanks-

I'm in Oregon, but when I sell I try to go off the local sale barn prices (approx). I just sold 4 5-6 cwt Hereford steers for $500 each, they are vaccs and wormed, buyer picks up.

Heifers may be worth more or less depending how good they are, usally they are worth a little less at the sale yard.

What are you buying?

Alan

Edit; sorry just saw you're looking at feeders.

millstreaminn":3pnr81ge said:
I have a guy that wants to sell me 5 spring calves. We're guessing the weight to be 5-6 cwt. What are they worth as feeders? I've looked all over and can't find anything. I'm in Pennsylvania and want to be fair to both parties.

Thanks-

In Indiana, I sold some 5's for 84-86 and 7's for 94. Go figure. :eek:

Depending on what they look like they should bring $1.00 - 1.20 per lb. I don't know where are in Pa. but if you have a copy of Lancaster Farming or can get one, there are lots of sale reports in there each week, try http://www.lancasterfarming.com ,maybe they have market reports on there that you can bring up, I'm not sure . You might want to subscribe to it, It's a good paper if you're involved in farming.

shorty":1fjty4q6 said:
Depending on what they look like they should bring $1.00 - 1.20 per lb. I don't know where are in Pa. but if you have a copy of Lancaster Farming or can get one, there are lots of sale reports in there each week, try http://www.lancasterfarming.com ,maybe they have market reports on there that you can bring up, I'm not sure . You might want to subscribe to it, It's a good paper if you're involved in farming.

I used to get the paper when I had the dairy. You're right, it is a good paper.

I talked to the guy today. He has 8 animals to pick from, steers and heifers, weight is 4-6 cwt. He is asking 1.00 per pound. That sounds reasonable to me. Gonna stop by his place on my way home from work. Thanks for the help.

Straight bred Herefords have really been taking a beating at our local sale barns the last couple weeks. I generally don't buy feeders but they were so cheap last week that I bought 8. They weighed 400 to 525. They were straight off the cow with no shots. I paid from $0.74 to $0.40. I averaged $265 a head. The same calves with a black hide or even red but looking crossbred were well over a dollar.

I'm with Dave on this one - the straight old herfs aren't gonna do ya' any favors in the sale ring. That $1/ pound sounds like a good deal when you compare to the sale report but I personally have seen herf (steer and heifer) calves discounted up to 40% ! No other reason - just because they were herfs. Red baldy type cattle seem to do pretty fair (only a slight discount).

I went to local sale last week, they sell feeders about once a month. They sold a load of red calves, herfs crossed with something. They were weaned about 3 weeks, had there shots, good calves! Weighed 350 to 400 struggled to bring 80 cents a lb. I was shocked. Most everything else there was junk, but these were good calves. The seller had to be sick.

You guys need to move to Kansas. 5 weight steers are bringing $1.15 to $1.30. Heifers a dime back.

KS Cattle":3h6bvj7j said:
You guys need to move to Kansas. 5 weight steers are bringing $1.15 to $1.30. Heifers a dime back.

If I could get herfs to bring that - I'd haul a load out but Ill wager that they won't break a dollar!

I went out and looked at the herfs last night. I passed on them. He does have 2 heifers, a red Angus and an Angus-Maine Anjou cross. 500 pounders, 6 month old and thick. Nicer than anything I have. Shots, wormed and almost weaned. 2 bucks a pound or 1,000 each. I think I'm gonna buy them. Am I crazy?

millstreaminn":2h7shyb0 said:
I went out and looked at the herfs last night. I passed on them. He does have 2 heifers, a red Angus and an Angus-Maine Anjou cross. 500 pounders, 6 month old and thick. Nicer than anything I have. Shots, wormed and almost weaned. 2 bucks a pound or 1,000 each. I think I'm gonna buy them. Am I crazy?

You can find fancy 500 pound cross bred heifers for 110-120.

millstreaminn":3j96kr20 said:

Well, you have to decide. But that's a big price to pay for almost weaned, open, heifers. Good luck with them.