Spring Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

tsellars

Reaction score
Anyone else's grass seem to be coming on a little slower this year than last few years? We have had enough moisture, but we haven't had any consistent temps for more than a couple days at a time here in North Central Arkansas.

Same! Even most of the trees are just starting to bud. I'm blaming it on the fluctuating temps: high 80 one day, next morning wind chill 33. Plus, we haven't had as much rain and the wind has been brutal - 30 mph is common. We really need to burn but haven't been able to because of all the Red Flag warnings, and now it's getting too late. Especially if we're going into a drought.

Anyone else's grass seem to be coming on a little slower this year than last few years? We have had enough moisture, but we haven't had any consistent temps for more than a couple days at a time here in North Central Arkansas.
Same here, SCKY

It's green but no rain in 3-4 weeks….won't be green much longer with it getting into the mid to upper 80's later in the week.

68 Sunday, and mid-upper 70's all last week... 34 today and rain, sleet and SNOW .... 2 " and it is flat out cold out. Nasty, supposed to get just below freezing, sun but only upper 40's tomorrow... mid 20's Tues night... then warming and up to the 80's by end of the week. Pastures are slow coming and grass still short... it doesn't know what to do....

68 Sunday, and mid-upper 70's all last week... 34 today and rain, sleet and SNOW .... 2 " and it is flat out cold out. Nasty, supposed to get just below freezing, sun but only upper 40's tomorrow... mid 20's Tues night... then warming and up to the 80's by end of the week. Pastures are slow coming and grass still short... it doesn't know what to do....
It is definitely confused!

I am pretty sure our first cutting is going to be later than normal. This is the coldest April I can remember in the last few years since I have got involved with the farm.

It snowed on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday last week. Friday when it didn't snow it was 20 degrees in the morning. Grass did green up a couple weeks ago but it sure hasn't move any since.

@tsellars ; My brother has a fishing boat on Lake Ontario... Praying Mantis Sport fishing. He may be a typical yankee and sometimes a PITA and as a sister I can say that... but he does one he// of a job as a captain from all I have heard...
@farmerjan I looked them up, they catch some big trout! We catch one of those occasionally purely by accident, they fight harder than anything we catch. We pull our boat 21 hours chasing the little brown bass, all the locals think we are crazy 👍🏻

Latest posts