Spring Garden 2019

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook2.0 said:
GP, how are you storing your squash? Pretty soon we wont be able to eat it fast enough
That does get to be a problem. I don't keep it but two or three days at room temp.and what I haven't eaten or given away I throw out and pick some more.

Hook, goes without saying but when squash season winds down and there's not going to be much more to pick, you can put it in a grocery bag and keep it in the veggie drawer of the fridge for a week or so. I think it keeps better if you do not wash it until ready for use.

Hook2.0 said:
Thanks. Ive been reading on hardening them where it can get you 2-3 months. Doesnt seem possible
Doesn't sound good. Their freshness and tenderness is what makes them good. Might've been a palatable option for pioneers.Winter squash, like butternut, which are hard to begin with will keep for months. But of course winter squash are a whole different thing than summer squash such as yellow crookneck or yellow straight neck.

ga.prime said:
Hook2.0 said:
Thanks. Ive been reading on hardening them where it can get you 2-3 months. Doesnt seem possible
Doesn't sound good. Their freshness and tenderness is what makes them good. Might've been a palatable option for pioneers.Winter squash, like butternut, which are hard to begin with will keep for months. But of course winter squash are a whole different thing than summer squash such as yellow crookneck or yellow straight neck.
Blanch and then can, we have squash from years ago. Sop on a paper towel and bread and fry like normal.

slick4591 said:
Hook2.0 said:
GP, how are you storing your squash? Pretty soon we wont be able to eat it fast enough

Cut into slices, blanch, ice bath and then into freezer bags.
I did lots of it just that way too. (hook, if you have a lot of squash, have LOTS of ice on hand)

I've used the following website instructions for putting up lots of different vegetables:
https://pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

Latest posts